Thursday, February 15, 2018

And February Made Me Shiver...Bad News on the Doorstep

So yesterday was to be the day of Love, and I left work early to fetch some gourmet treats from Joanna's, and then head home to fetch a chilling bottle of 'paign and Wifey. On the way the radio broke news of the school shooting in Parkland.

Wifey had heard, and I said we'd embargo the information until our celebration was over.  We drove the Matheson Hammock, and found a picnic table by the entrance to the harbor, and the sun was setting. We ate, and finished off the bottle of PJ between us.  We sat on the rocks. We walked to the other side of the swimming basin, remembering how Wifey's late father insisted on taking the Ds to the park.  "Dey need GOOD AIR!" he would exclaim, and my mother in law would watch them on the beach while Richard swam.  Those were lovely times...

We stood looking at the Miami skyline bathed in setting sunlight. It was gorgeous. I spoke to my parents.  We both knew we never want to live anywhere else.

And then we came home to the deluge of news.  Thankfully there were no first separation victims -- though as the night went on, it turned out that friends of friends had lost people.  We were sickened.

A friend who home schools her kids, and lives in Weston, was crowing about her choice. I wanted to respond on FB if she planned on home movie watching (Aurora Colorado) or home working (9/11) her kids as well. The truth is no one is safe from the nutcases with guns in this country.

But I decided to make one small change. I had supported at least one GOP politician who was mostly aligned with my interests, but HAD taken NRA money. She's about to retire.

No more.  Now, anyone seeking my money or vote must be totally anti-NRA, and pro gun control.  It's that simple.

Gabby Gifford's astronaut husband Kelly was interviewed, and framed it perfectly. He said the GOP would say "Now is not the time to politically debate," as they did following Sandy Hook, and then wait for things to die down. Congress will do nothing.

A British journalist noted that the gun debate ended after Sandy Hook, saying that when Americans decided murdered children were bearable, there was nothing more to talk about.

I'm an optimist. Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the NRA's back. Probably not -- we elected a cartoon character as POTUS.  The politicians will blame evil, and ask for prayers, and the NRA will continue to run politics.  Sad.

A few years ago, a lawyer I knew moved to Parkland -- saying Miami is "too dangerous."  I wished him well, but knew he was foolish.  Yesterday showed even the safest, cookie cutter Mcmansion community, can be the worst if a nutcase decided to change everything.

I plan to be around awhile. If lucky, I'll be blessed with grandkids.  I really hope we get reasonable gun control.  I'll do my tiny part.

No comments: