Thursday, October 8, 2009

Who'll Stop the Heat?

It's nearly the middle of October, and it's still hot as hell here. I walked to the cafeteria at my office today, and it felt like August. Will someone please turn down the thermostat?

Actually, the weather babe on Channel 7 (I forget the latest one's name, but they're ALWAYS gorgeous young women) said we're having record heat for these dates.

Wifey is still butlering in Gainesville, and she reports cooler evenings. I guess the cool fronts have been stalling mid-state. Hopefully they'll make it here, and give us slightly more Fall-like temperatures.

I used to pay much more attention to the weather, and I used to write about it more, as well. When I look back on my college journals, they're basically a compendium of meterological phenomena and girls.

That's all I knew then. It's funny --Wifey's friend keeps telling me on FaceBook that she's a "child of the 60s." She was born in 1955, which made her 14 when the 60s ended!

Richard Pryor once gave an interview about "becoming a comedian when he was 15." He said all of his jokes were about going to the bathroom, because that's all a 15 year old knows about! So, I hardly think that Wifey's friend had any deep insights in the 60s --I think she just wants to inject herself into a time period she thinks was cooler than the 70s and 80s, when she truly grew up.

On the other hand, I give her credit for wanting to share her age, or actually making herself seem older! Here in South Florida, the theme is typically women in their 40s and 50s dressing and acting like they grew up screaming for Justin Timberlake, when they grew up screaming at K.C. and the Sunshine Band.

Nah -- I didn't know nothing until the 80s, when I was in my 20s. I barely know nothing now!

Here I am, a 48 year old man, still writing about the weather.

No comments: