Saturday, October 17, 2009

Recapitulation

The famous riddle in "Oediopus Rex" was what walked on 4 legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening? Of course, it is man, who crawls, then walks, and finally needs a cane.

And so we're watching this with Mom, and to an extent, my in laws.

What a day we had yesterday! Wifey, D1, and her boyfriend and I had a terrific day on South Beach. I always love it there, not for what it is now, but for the memories it brings to me from the 70s, when my family vacationed there.

We walked around South Pointe Park, which the City did a gorgeous job building. There's a walk that winds from Government Cut, where you watch the ships sail to sea, all the way around to the beach. I remembered when there was a dog racing track there, and the times we had.

Afterwards we went to Joe's Stone Crab, and got some take out claws. Thomas loved them, as did my ladies. We then visited Alex's new venture --a jewelry business on West Avenue, where our granddog Madeline proved less than agracious visitor --she peed and pooped on the carpet. Alas, Alex and Danielle were gracious, and dog lovers, and didn't seem too upset.

I bought a surprise for D2, and we headed for home.

Alas, the mood was not to remain happy. Mom called and said "David --I'm in trouble again." She uses language like a scared 8 year old might. She had locked herself out of her condo, and didn't have the wherewithal to simply call a locksmith. She needed my approval.

D1 looked up locksmiths in Delray, and I gave her a number. She waited at a neighbor's house. The Israeli sounding locksmith arrived in about 30 minutes, and $160 later, she was back inside.

The issue is, though, how daunting everything is, like it was when she was a child.

Well, the rest of the evening was nice. We had Charlie and Diane over for some great Italian food, and 2 bottles of wine later, we were all laughing and sharing tales. Even D2 joined the party!

But for Mom, she's surely not who she was when we visited South Beach. I remember her then, in her 50s, so thrilled to be with her family. The evening for her is here.

No comments: