Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Murray

There have been precious few people I've met in my life with a quality I treasure: I always feel elevated after I spend time with them.

Judge Murray is one of these people. He's a former policeman, lawyer, judge, and mayor of Miami Beach. For the past 20 years, he's been a mediator, and the one my partner and I always favor.

Yesterday I spent 4 hours with him. As usual, he settled our case. Also as usual, he completely charmed our client, a 21 year old college student. With his engaging talk, and twinkle in his eye, Murray has a way of both flirting with and comforting young ladies. It's been his stock in trade.

Murray turned 80. He's a Korean War vet. He's been there, done it, and bought all the T shirts. He was married for many years, but lost his wife 20 years ago. He never had children. I'm sure he's the best uncle of all time to some nieces and nephews.

He adores the ladies. He told us a story yesterday about meeting a gorgeous blonde in the bar of the Fountainbleau years ago, probably while the Rat PAck was hanging out there. He wasn't getting anywhere with her, and was about to leave on a busines trip. Somehow he finagled her address.

He went to MIA, and for $3 bought flight insurance, with a value of $250K. He made the blonde his beneficiary, and sent her a copy with some romantic inscription about getting together, or at least taking care of her financially if tragedy would strike.

He survived his flight, and found a receptive date when he returned to Miami.

We hadn't seen Murray since the beginning of the year, and learned yesterday he was diagnosed with an agressive head cancer in January. He went through a very dangerous surgery (20% survival rate) and a round of chemo.

My partner Paul asked him about it. In typical Murray fashion, there was a pearl of wisdom: "When you march through hell, the best thing to do is keep marching."

As my partner pointed out, Murray has lived a full life, and "followed his fantasies" at least several times.

While that's true, I'm hoping we have him for a long, long time. Murray has so much more to share; so much more to teach.

No comments: