Thursday, October 22, 2009

Automotive Permutations

I think one of my life's goals is to live, at least for awhile, some place where you don't need a car. In Miami, the only 2 places like that are South Beach, and possibly Coconut Grove. I guess NYC is the best place to go car-less.

I used to enjoy driving, but the S Fla traffic has taken away the joy. It used to be that you culd avoid rush hour, but now rush hour seems to be most of the day. Early Sunday am, when I go for bagels for my girls, seems to be one of the remaining traffic-free times.

Plus, I'm a fleet supervisor. I'm responsible for the operation and cost of 4 vehicles. When one is out of service, it throws my family ourt of whack. Last Summer, D2's car was in the shop for nearly 6 weeks following a mishap, and now D1's car has been out of service.

Wifey sent D1 back to Gainesville with her SUV, and we rented Wifey a car for the past week. Supposedly, D1's car is ready after nearly 5 weeks in the shop, following her dog involved crash. So, Wifey and I plan to go up to Delray in the rental, pick up D1's ride, and then return the rental. We'll make a day of it by visiting Very Old Mother.

Speaking of which --there's a bad moon rising there. Mom asked me to get her a cell phone, to carry with her at all times, in case she falls or otherwise needs help. I ordered her the simplest model there is, but it still requires making sure the power is turned on, and pressing several buttons. I already know what's in store --frustrating phone calls about how the phone is "broken."

My father in law asked Wifey for a cell phone, too, to carry when he drives. A few years ago, when he couldn't get it to work, in a fit of anxiety and anger, he tossed it out of his car somewhere in I-75 at the Broward/Dade border.

Mom won't do that; she'll probably just not use the thing. What are ya gonna do?

So off to Delray today, to retrieve the car. Wifey will drive it until Thanksgiving time, when D1's next due home.

I have to go check the fleet's records --there's probably an oil change or 2 due...

No comments: