Monday, October 12, 2009

Light of Day

I think Emerson said that all objects, held up to the brightest light, appear beautiful. I know he was talking spiritually, but I disagree.

I've come to believe that probably NO object in one's life can hold up to too much scrutiny.

It's like those tv documentaries where they take a phot of a gorgeous woman, and move the camera increasingly closer, so that all of the skin blemishes appear, followed by defects and wrinkles, and on to the disgusting germs.

Likewise, I'm convinced that if we hold our friends and relationships to absurdly intricate standards, all will fail.

We can choose to focus on the negative, and there will be PLENTY there to find.

I often discuss that with my Chabad Rabbi friend Yossi, about following the laws of the Torah. He lives his life completely observantly. I always ask him what he atones for each Yom Kippur.

He laughs, and reminds me that the most religious are still human, with all of the frailties appurtenant thereto. He engages daily in gossip, lustful thoughts, quick anger, etc...even as he's making sure his diet is kosher, and he honors the sabbath.

I'm guilty of fault finding and judgment as much as anyone, but I'll continue to resist it.

It's like the grouchy boss, who says "If I took a true and hard look at the incompetence, laziness, and ineptitude of all my workers --I'd fire every damn one of them!"

And then he'd have no company to complain about.

No -- I think that wisdom teaches to become more forgiving and accepting. No one can live up to another's standards. I'm not even going to try.

So, I write this as I await a client, to take her to her mediation. She's a lovely young lady, about D1's age, who was in a car wreck.

Another day in the law business...

No comments: