Saturday, October 24, 2009

Whistling Past the Airport

Here I am again, on the eve of a trip with Wifey, and I couldn't help myself: I sent one of my infamous emails to Ds 1 and 2 giving instructions "just in case..."

I try to be a realist, and I know how illogical that is. Wifey and I have a far better chance of getting killed each time we drive together on I-95 than we do flying commercially, but I simply can't help it. (Matter of fact, I probably came closese to buying the farm last week in Delray Beach. While waiting for a takeout lunch at the Gramercy Deli, I was jostled and threatened by a pack of very angry old Northeastern retirees, all of whom seemed to be in a great hurry to get somewhere). But I digress...

I guess it's something about the loss of control when one flies that causes the mind to wander to thoughts of mortality. Whatever it is, I do my same routine...

When D1 turned 19, we changed our wills to make her D2's legal guardian in the unfortunate event... Now D2 is nearly 18, so would only be under her evil sister's control for another 3 months or so.

After that, between life insurance and the inevitable lawsuit against Delta Airlines, the Ds would be rather well fixed, financially. Would they become mini versions of Paris and Nikki Hilton? Would they still become productive, philanthropic women? Hey -- Wifey and I wouldn't be around to see, but my guess is more of the latter...

My partner Paul shares my whistling past the ( ) habit. Whenever he leaves for a trip, he renews his instructions about what to do with "his half" of our law business. Luckily, I have never had to act on his wishes...

Likewise, I'm fairly certain that Wifey and I will survive to spend the Ds' inheritance. On the other hand, as I am writing this, Wifey, in her pre trip anxiety, has been peppering me with questions, in DIRECT flouting of my request that she leave me alone when I'm writing these silly blogs, which brings me to the thoughts of Basil Fawlty's lament when his wife hectored him "I pray for the release death will bring!"

Not really. I still figure I have plenty of living to do. For example, today my beloved Canes are playing a tough ACC game, and I'll be leaving to tailgate in just 3 hours...

Still --just in case... I sent my emails to the Ds, as I embark with Wifey on a trip without them. My friend Professor Steve is already in Asheville for his 45th high school reunion, and he just emailed that the weather is gorgeous, and the Fall color is at its zenith. I can't wait to walk in the crisp air, with fallen leaves crackling beneath my feet, and that exquisite smell of burning wood fires detectable inthe distance...

We're going with Dr. Eric and Dana, and the four of us aim to enjoy the hell out of this trip. We'll celebrate our friendship and the lives we've shared. Our two oldest are Gators, humorously, and our two youngest will both be away in college in a few years (D2 in less than one year).

I plan to get Dr. Eric to remember and talk about our fathers, gone but still a looming presence in our lives.

And I plan to return for more fun and creation of memories on this mortal coil (D2 is reading "Hamlet").

But just in case...

No comments: