Saturday, September 19, 2009

True Love in the Days of Awe

My nephew Henry and his wife Valerie have been here since Wednesday, and it's been a pleasure to have them. They're high school sweethearts who married 6 months ago, and are extremely and obviously in love.

Henry is a pretty taciturn young man, but when he speaks, Valerie hangs on each word. Likewise, he talks of her in elevated terms, and always seems to share a chari when they sit. I took Henry to a Canes game and tailgate party --my bastion of male bonding. There were a lot of "ball and chain" jokes going around. The worst Henry came up with was hoping Valerie was watching "Twilight" at home with Wifey, so he wouldn't have to see it!

It's a cliche, but young love really doesn brighten everything. Just having these two around the house has been delightful.

Last night we had our annual Rosh Hashonah dinner, and sister and brother in law brought very old Mother. My in laws came, and we also invited our friends and neighbors, the Patricks. If, in the history of next door neighbors, there have ever been a better pair --I'd be shocked to learn of them.

My friend John, also a lawyer, called to invite me, last minute, to dinner. He's a widowed father, and his daughter had gone out with friends. After I chided him for being such a goy that he didn't even realize it was a High Jewish Holiday ("would I invite you out Easter Sunday???!!!") I asked him to come over. He did, and we gave him a late arriving plate. His company added to the merriment.

Mom is priceless. She took it all in, all the talking, and laughing, and she had a great time. It really is true that age brings regression. I handle her finances, and I've cut off her gift giving --at least the purchase of gifts from her lim,ited funds. But, she just couldn't bring herself to come "empty handed," so she brought me a bottle of Kahlua liquer she's had in her house since she visited Panama during the Reagan Administration. Better --it was 3/4 empty!

It reminded me of a stunt I pulled in the 3rd grade. I knew my sister Sue's birthday was coming up, and I wanted to get her something, but I had, of course, no money or way to shop, so I removed a small gold bracelet from her jewelry box, wrapped it in tissue paper, and told her I had found it at school.

She was livid, as I recall (she wasn't the most mature 21 year old) but my parents pretended they believed me, and praised my generosity. (Actually --the whole affair was probably an early indication that I'd become a lawyer).

Still, I accepted Mom's gift, and we all chuckled at her sweetness...

So, Henry and Valerie are sleeping in, as are Wifey and D2. I watched D2 last night --carefully observing everyone. She has the soul of a writer, but wants to be a lawyer. Maybe I'l stil have time to reform her views...

D1 called from Gainesville, recovering from a likely bout of Swine flu. Fortunately an early prescription for Tamiflu called in by Dr. Eric seems to have kept her symptoms manageable. She missed us, and was headed out to a late Rosh Hash dinner with some sorority sisters.

So, I just read the paper on my front porch, as a violent thuunderstorm raged in front of me, with my dogs at my feet.

It was a fine way to meditate on the New Year, and the conclusion, of course, is that love (especially the young kind enjoyed by Henry and Valerie) makes all much brighter.

1 comment:

Monica said...

heyyy what kind of a soul do i have??