Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Attention Must Be Paid

Was there the slightest hint of less than oppressive heat in the air the past 2 mornings? D2 says no --it's as hot and muggy as ever these days.

We're getting (hopefully) to the end of the Miami dog days --the worst time of year to live here. If we're lucky, we'll get our first cool front in October.

4 years ago, after Hurricane Wilma knocked out our power for 10 days, it was blissfully cool at night, so much that the lack of a/c was fine. This year? I guess we'll find out soon.

All I know is, things are quite boring these days, and that's fine with me. My nephew Henry and his new wife Valerie are due for a visit starting tomorrow, and I intend to squire them around town. Henry hasn't been here in 9 years, and this is Val's first trip East of the Mississippi, as far as I know.

Once they get used to the heat, they'll have a fine time.

My Rabbi friend reminded me that the Days of Awe are approaching. I answered that they were already here --and the Canes were 1-0! No, he said, with the Jewish New Year and Day of Atonement coming, we must take stock of our lives and strive to become closer to God.

Well, we are having a dinner this Friday for Rosh Hashonah, although the religiousity of the day won't be at my house. Mostly, we'll honor and savor Wifey's parents and my very old Mom, who are happily still around.

I probably WILL go to services the night before Yom Kippur, for Kol Nidre. Kol Nidre means "all vows," and it's the service before the day of fasting where we renounce all vows of the previous year, to purify ourselves in readiness of the "rebirth" of the coming year.

I've always enjoyed Kol Nidre. The chanting melodies resonate with me deeply.

Do I'll probably go, even though I'll have to endure the sidelong glance of my rabbi friend, whose look always seems to say "Oh, so you actually took the trouble to come to ONE service???!!!"

Part of Yom Kippur also involves the symbolic casting of one's sins into the water. I did that last year, into my pond, and none of the turtles or fish died, so this year the pond will be my sin repository again.

I hope, as I leave the Kol Nidre service, and begin my yearly fast, it's nice and cool outside...

No comments: