Friday, September 11, 2009

They Call it Rainy Friday

It's near the end of the Jewish year. Nex week is Rosh Hashonah, the "head of the year," according to Heberew tradition. It's bad enough to have to take stock of one's life ONCE per year; diaspora Jews do it twice.

I'm off to see the ancient Mother today, after a meeting in Broward County with a parylized mand and his family.

The client, a Mexican construction worker, fell off of a 2nd story roof on a house he was building in Miramar, and is now an incomplete quadriplegic. His wife and kids adore him.

The Workers Comp carrier has put them up in a hotel in Plantation, in University Drive, and I've visited him there about 10 times in the past year. Each time it breaks my heart --his 4 year old son climbs into his lap, in his wheelchair, and strokes his face.

My mother, nearing 90, has far more physical function than he does, and yet he embraces each day.

My mother got some letter in the mail from her bank, and is panicked, as usual. Apparently it's just an offer to get an additional credit card, but every letter and call she gets is a huge deal to her. I've learned it's easier to just make the trip to Delray to calm her than it is to try to explain things to her.

Dr. Barry and I were talking a few weeks ago, about responsibility. We were always responsible men, even in college. But back then, we were in charge of ourselves. He wonders where, along the way, we got signed up to have to take care of extended family members in addition to our wives and kids.

Dr. Eric, the third of our college Three Stooges, is in the same boat. His wiidowed mother is on his "plate" both economically and emotionally.

I guess it goes with the territory, as Arthur Miller wrote.

When Wifey was in Maine, she found a wooden sign that she bought for me. It reads "Dad's wish: to enjoy the same lifestyle as his wife and children."

My father would have loved that sign, too.

So, it's raining, and I'm blessed. I have full use of my extremities, and the full love of my family. As I was just typing, I got a text on my phone, from D1, who has an early Friday class: "I love Daddy."

Is there a better gift to receive on a rainy Friday, or any other day? IF there is, I don't know what it is.

No comments: