Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Big Change Gonna Come?

So Rabbi Yossi tells me his ilk, the bridge to the 17th century, think this is going to be a big year. They're all into numbers, and stuff, and this Hebrew year is 5770,and the home office of Chabad is located at 770 Eastern Parkway.

If the Rabbi is right, then the Messiah (Moshiach) will come, and there will be BIG CHANGES a-comin, as Sam Cooke once sang.

MAybe I'm all caught up in the contemplation of the new year, but I'm considering some changes, too.

At D2's back to school night (our last one) yesterday, I met a fellow named Rick Hamlin. He was in his 60s, and said he had been a teacher for 4 years. He joked that we might be able to tell he was a tad older than 26. I like him immediately.

It turns out he has a B.A. degree, and two Masters, and was a lifelong Episcopal Priest. He said "it became time to retire" from the ministry, and since he was too young to "do nothing," he decided to become a teacher.

I've always been attracted to folks with multiple careers, and Mr. Hamlin was a perfect example of that. D2 said the students adore him. He thanked us for "sharing our children" with him each day, and told us how their intellects and energy kept him youthful.

I'm getting very bored and tired of the law thing, as well as being the character Tevye wished he could be: "When you're rich they think you really know."

I often DON'T know, but I usually pick up the check. That's getting old, too.

No comments: