Friday, September 25, 2009

IT's All About the Connections

OUr receptionist Jackie and I were talking at lunch yesterday, and someohow the subject of disappearing from society came up. I told her about a writer who started a contest in which he assumed a new identity, and challenged computer sleuths to find him. One did, in about 10 days.

We realized the only way to truly hide is to move away and sever all ties to everyone you know. In my opinion, that would mean I might as well kill myself.

What is a person without his family and friends? I mean, I think it's wise to eliminate or reduce contact with toxic people in one's life, but the ones who truly matter, who elevate you? Is it worthwhile to sit on a beach somewhere in Costa Rica if you're surrounded only by 30 year old gorgeous Ticas in string bikinis? Well, maybe yes, but only for awhile...

My partner Paul started a charity called "Reading for Life," in which lawyers and their staffs read to kids in an inner city school once per week. I did it for one season, before realizing that I really don't like small children anymore. I did, when Ds were little, but now I've become almost W.C. Fields-like.

Last night there was a Fall "kickoff" for the group, and I went to the Downtown Main Library to hear it.

My friend Stuart was there --he's become a loyal reader. I met Stuart in 1987 and introduced him to PAul --they've become very close.

Mirta, my friend and secretary, organized the event, and she's brought Jackie into our firm.

Again --it's so clear that life is just about that --the connections. It's about paths crossing. It's about choosing to let people in sometimes, when they knock on your door.

After the event, we retired to the Capital Grille, where we had a terrific meal and some more great conversation. We all laughed, heartily, clebrating Paul, and his efforts, as well as Mirta. Mirta was, last year, a receptionist, and now she's running my law firm, as well as managing the several others who are our subtenants. She's also becoming, rapidly, a major force in "Reading for Life."

We toasted Mirta. I savored the connections.

No comments: