Sunday, August 23, 2009

FDOS

It was a recurring theme in our house. I remember most fondly the years when Ds 1 and 2 both attended Leewood Elementary. I'd be driving them there, and say "Girls -- FDOS!" They knew it stood for "First Day of School."

I was working full time in those days, so I was typically dressed in my lawyer suit. D1 remembers that well. I loved the atmosphere of the school on First Day. There was unbridled optimism. The screw ups hadn't had a chance to screw up, yet. The dunces hadn't yet failed. The teachers with psychopathology (fortunately a small minority) hadn't yet acted out.

I'd walk in with the girls, and meet their teachers. There'd be the excited cries to each: "How was summer?" "I missed you!" "Wanna sit together at lunch?"

After D1 started Middle School, I had 4 more years with D2, until she made it to Palmetto Middle as well, and my job was through.

But, as long as I had school age daughters, I felt connected to the FDOS. Tomorrow is FDOS for D2, a high school senior. We will never pass this way again.

D1 starts class for HER senior year, as well. If American Airlines is running on time, I'll be on a plane tomorrow am as classes begin. I'll smile, thinking of the blessings of my now adult and nearly adult daughters. I'll remember the first day clothes (a VERY important choice --what to wear on FDOS, as I recall).

Last night Wifey and I had a terrific dinner with one of my life's mentors --my old UM professor Steve. He and Mary have 2 sons who are superstars. One is a partner in a powerful political consulting group in DC, and since they're staunch Democrats, are currently in high cotton. The younger boy is a Stanford Law graduate who just completed 2 Federal judicial clerkships and now has his choice of jobs in California.

Steve and Mary told us how they raised their sons to leave, and have their own productive lives. They see their sons several times per year. I could still hear a bit of wistfulness in Steve's voice, though, as he remembered all of the games and activities that dominated their lives while their sons were young.

So to my girls: happy FDOS, as always. I'm so proud of the young women you've become. I'll still be thinking of the adorable little girls you were.

No comments: