Sunday, August 30, 2009

Do We Stay or Do We Go?

Last night Wifey and I met some friends at a Downtown restaurant, and afterward I took her to a new condo that opened across the street: Icon. Icon is a three building complex at the mouth of the Miami River, and is probably the most impressive new residential development in all of Florida.

There are 3 buildings, once of which is a Viceroy Hotel, and a sky lobby on the 15th floor with an amazing infinity pool, and views of all of Downtown, Miami Beach, and Key Biscayne. There's a club on the 50th floor of the hotel, from which you can see into the Everglades.

The complex is having tough times selling, like most new condo projects, but as Wifey and I walked around, we started to talk about whether or not we'd like to move to something like that someday.

By next year at this time, we'll be enpty nesters. We love our house and neighborhood, but we still think about possibly changing.

Wifey doesn't mind high rises. I learned that I don't like them. I enjoy getting my newspaper in the morning and seeing no one. I also enjoy the quiet of living in a single family house.

On the other hand, our neighborhood IS pretty far away from the middle of the city. We moved here because of the great schools, and once that's no longer an issue, does it make sense to stay here?

I guess we'll talk more as true empty nesterhood approaches.

My guess: we'll be at Villa Wifey for a long, long time. We both love it here, and we've found that the longer the marriage, having a big house is not necessarily a bad thing!

Then again, man plans and God laughs, as the scholars say. We'll see...

No comments: