Thursday, January 10, 2008

Surveillance

A lot of my work is pretty boring stuff, at least in the salaciousness department. Divorce lawyers get all of the great tales --my cases, the bread and butter of what I deal with --have to do with herniated discs, and broken bones.

Last week I prepped a client for a deposition, and told her that the insurance carrier probably had followed her and taken video. The companies reoutinely do this, to show that an injured party really can do the things they testify they can't.

I explained to this woman that she need only tell the truth, and there'd be nothing to worry about. As I headed back to my office, I noticed her following me. "Psssst," she said, "I need to talk to you without my husband."

I brought her into my office and she spilled it: she had been having an affair for the past year, and was petrified that this "surveillance" might include footage of her meeting her lover at an area hotel. "We meet at one of two places, go inside and enjoy each other's company."

She said she wanted to drop the case, lest her husband find out. The case would lead to money, but her husband supported her nicely, and she didn't want to lose that.

Well, happily we settled the case, and the surveillance turned out to be boring "look, she can carry groceries" stuff. The cuckholded husband is no wiser, and I have one of my better tales to tell.

It's all good...

1 comment:

Cici said...

You're a nice guy. I would have upped my contingency to 51% on the spot and when she balked,wondered aloud if an anonymous letter was going to be sent to her husband. Code Of Ethics, Shmode of Methics.