Sunday, January 6, 2008

Adios, Daughter #1

The month passed like a speeding train, and Daughter #1 left this a.m. She and wifey were in bed watching a French movie and "Gilmore Girls" until late, and I ended up sleeping in Daughter #2's bed, since she was out at a sleepover. I slept the best I have in awhile. This idea of separate bedrooms may be a good one. More on that later...

D 1 woke up, and I made her her favorite breakfast of scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast. She loves the way I make her eggs --I whip them first, and watch as they cook, so they're always perfect. Wifey, D1, and I sat around the table and had a pleasant talk about life and school.

I drove her to her good friend and roommate's parents' house, we loaded up the car, and away they went. Both girls were a little excited, but also reluctant to leave their spoiled Miami lives. As Hillary said "My Mom brought me breakfast this morning. No one at school does that."

Whenever D1 leaves, I head to the ocean, to speak with my father. I usually go to MAtheson Hammock, and walk around the atoll. It was nearly empty this morning. The sun glistened on the water, and I spoke with him.

My father refused to be buried in a cemetary. He wanted to be remembered whenever one of us was by the sea. I hope he knew what he was doing, and this flouting of Jewish law doesn't land us both someplace where we spend eternity getting poked in the butt by some Devil's trident, but Dad was willing to take his chances, and so am I.

It occurred to me as I stared out at the gorgeous sea and sky, that he BECAME part of the eternity and infinity that we only observe. I guess Dad understood that, and didn't fear death.

MEanwhile, I guess I still have some stuff left to do down here. A bit more guidance for a 19 year old, and soon to be 16 year old. Some very helpful worrying and anxiety about them. Hemorrhoids. Isn't life grand?

No comments: