Saturday, January 19, 2008

Five-Oh

I did a favor for my friend Steve the Cop's boss, and last night he took me to dinner to thank me. The Sergeant brought back memories of a law school class that discussed the mentality of cops.

The Sergeant is a great fellow, born and raised in Miami, but talking like he was born and raised in Tennessee. He's smart but uneducated. He truly sees the world in black and white, as us against them.

The "them" are bad guys, and as far as he's concerned, there is no such thing as rehabilitation. Bad is bad. If his daughter brought home a succesful man who had any type of criminal history, he'd be booted out of the house.

As I evolve into the classic :liberal is a conservative who has never been mugged" paradigm, I see more and more wisdom in the Sergeant's world view.

Anyway, as a result of the free legal work I did, I'm pretty much immune from any traffic ticket violations in the County. Other than eternal higher consciousness, that's one of the most useful things to have.

Speaking of great bartering: I went for a haircut this morning, and Dania, my "barber" wouldn't charge me. I had referred Dania to a high powered family lawyer friend, to see about collecting back child support from her deadbeat ex, and the lawyer gave her free advice. She told Dania to give me a free haircut in exchange. It was rather sweet, even though I overtip Dania every time I'm there, and bring her croissants and coffee on the early appointments.

As I write, a handyman is replacing a rotted garage door, and Wifey just left for a walk. Her parents are coming for their bi weekly visit. Maybe I could trade another professional something, and he could play the son in law here every once in awhile...

1 comment:

Monica said...

does the traffic ticket immunity extend to immediate family members???