Sunday, January 20, 2008

Heady Times

On November 15, 1994 my partner and I started our law firm. We left comfortable jobs and guaranteed salaries, and struck out on our own. We were energized. We were dauntless. Failure was not an option for us.

They were heady times. We'd work all day on the cases we brought with us, and spend most evenings taking referral sources to dinner to get more business. I was 33 and he was 44.

Our partnership agreement was a handshake and promise to always treat each other right, upon the memory of our dead fathers. Nothing was in writing. We pledged to do this for 10 years.

Our 13th anniversary passed last November, and we're still in business, although in a downsized version. We've decreased overhead and working hours. We're making a big staff change this week. It's still fun, but no longer exhilerating.

My nephew is about to leave his regular job and go into business for himself full time. He has every requisite ability to succeed. We spoke at length last week, and I hear the same fire and spirit in him that I had 13 years ago.

He'll be leaving his regular job within the month to focus on his business. Right now, he's choosing office space, designing advertising --all of the fun exciting choices a business owner makes.

I'm thrilled for him.

It's nice to see a younger generation aspire to greater things.

I shared with him my "secret" for success: always treat those who refer you clients
happy they did so. Make it worthwhile for others to find you business. Be overgenerous in that regard.

I also told him that my firm's success paralleled my partner and I giving more and more to charity. It may have been a coincidence, but if it was, the money we gave away was the best use of money we made.

Go get 'em, kid!

No comments: