Wednesday, March 27, 2024

There's a Place Called Kokomo...

 So Sunday D1 called that they got an early start -- why didn't Wifey and I come early to vacay, too? So I woke Wifey at 930, instead of the promised 10, and a mere 2 hours later, we were on the road, headed to Marathon.

I drove as she slept and texted, and it gave me time to reminisce about all the past drives to the Keys. I always take Card Sound Road, for it's great view, and the thought that just in case I need a conch chowder fix, I pass Alabama Jacks...

The drive slowed near Islamorada, as they were having a big antique car show, and so Waze took us on a detour on the Old Overseas Highway. About 2.5 hours after we left, we pulled into Isla Bella.

Living in South Miami Dade makes little sense -- so much of what goes on here is farther North, including our kids living in Miami Shores and just below, but there is ONE benefit --we're closer to the Keys...

As I checked in, D1 and her men were pulling up,too, having stopped at Lorelei's for lunch. The nice check in clerk noticed Wifey and I were staying 2 nights, while the companion family were staying 3, and I explained that I was paying for most of the trip, and so only could afford 2 nights for us. She laughed.

The place is beautiful -- pretty new, and it shows it. And the staff and the food were indeed top drawer.

But the reason for the trip was full immersion into the lives of Baby Man and Little Man, and it was mission accomplished. We had a ball with them -- swimming at the beach and pool, Wifey setting up a nap tent for Little Man poolside where he snoozed amidst all the noise and activity of the resort, and many meals together. Joey and I knocked back a few, and even the tiki bar singer was terrific -- he played Prince!

Typically Keys bar singers play country and Jimmy Buffet -- what the tourists expect. But this guy played "Purple Rain!" I was impressed...

The boys loved it. And last night, after we were already home, D1 sent a video of the two of them chasing each other around the sunset beach, as the firepit was in the background and a new singer sang. It was indeed exquisite.

D1 and her men will return today, and have accomplished D1's mission -- fun Spring Break for her family. She gets the long picture -- knowing that these times are fleeting, and sooner than later, her boys will probably find the thought of hanging with their parents less than exciting. But for now, the days are gifts to her -- and Joey, too.

As for me, I get to stick around home for awhile -- my preference. We have a destination to California in November, and that might do it for the balance of 2024.

Wifey is off April 6 on another cruise, and I humbly accept my job as dog and house sitter. I really love being here.

But as always, last weekend was a trip I'm glad to have taken. Those beautiful grandsons...

No comments: