Saturday, March 16, 2024

A Quiet Weekend

 So after a rather bad week, I was looking MOST forward to a chill weekend, and so far I have been granted my wish.

Yesterday I got a call from Ana, at the body shop, who called with the nice news that indeed she had found a used halogen headlight for Wifey's wrecked SUV, and this would save about $1K. This proved her honesty -- she could have well installed the used part and charged me for the new one -- zero chance I ever would have known. I AM a repeat customer, and always self pay, and we get along well.

I'm pretty sure that had I made insurance claims for all of the car repairs, my annual premium for 2 vehicles would be near $20K -- so easier to just pay we we wreck. Anyway, the plan is to drop off the SUV next Friday, and leave it with them for a week to 10 days. If all goes to plan, we'll be in the Keys with D 1 and her men anyway, for Spring Break. So we'll see.

Yesterday I got my walking in -- near 10K steps, and last night I read that I need to speed up for better health, and so I plan to do that going forward. No running, though. I LOATHE running -- have since I was on the baseball team in high school and was made to do it. I am my mother's son -- she NEVER would have even thought about jogging. She didn't like walking much either. Hopefully I inherited her cardiovascular system and not Dad's. If I have Hy's, I may well be in my final year...

Anyway, I thought I would just chill, but Wifey announced her friend Ronnie was coming over. She was bummed -- the 4th contract to sell her condo in Deering Bay fell through. She wants to move to Aventura. I mixed her a few cosmos, and myself a few martinis, and we brought in from China Gourmet for the first time -- it was serviceable Cantonese. We laughed a lot. It was a fine Friday.

Tonight, we're meeting Paul, Barry, Eric, and their long suffering wives, up in Aventura. Paul asked me to buy some good wine at Total Wine, and I did -- a few bottles of Austin Hope. He wants to have a tasting between the Reserve and regular Vintage. Whatever. I'll taste the expensive one, and stick to vodka.

The only choice I have is whether to drive up, and therefore limit myself to two drinks, or Uber, so I can be a free man in Aventura. This will be a game time decision -- but I DO love Uber. I imagine myself as Thurston Howell III with a chauffeur. It's nice.

Tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day, and we have plans with Joelle and Kenny after Kenny returns from OldVille (Boynton Beach) to visit his Dad. Our friends have begged off doing anything Irish related, and so we'll bring in some food and watch some movie whose actress won the Oscar. I just need to see my "Curb," either when it's on or the next day.

I have always prided myself on being a lay student of comedy, and Larry David is the Shakespeare of our time -- his intricate weaving of absurd tales that somehow are hilarious is amazing.

Next week has some errands -- and a delayed 60th birthday dinner with Mirta, my sister of another mister. Norman is a bachelor for the week, too, as his wife is headed to Europe for yoga, I think. We sure spoil our wives...Norman and I will eat some intentionally unhealthy food. That's what straight guys do when left to their own devices...

So here's to a quiet weekend. These are great to have once in awhile. Oh yeah -- Purim is upon us -- gotta score some hamentaschen -- one of my favorites -- the poppy seed kind. They recall my Dad -- he loved them, too. Tradition.

No comments: