Friday, March 22, 2024

Busy Social Week

 It's true what the old saying says: if you need something done, ask a busy person to do it. In semi-retirement, I ought to have plenty of time, but somehow that isn't the case.

Monday I went on a Grandpa/Aunt errand with D2 -- we fetched Baby Man at his temple preschool. That toddler is so chill -- we had to check on him the entire ride home, he was so quiet -- making noise only when Betsy, D2's 95 lb dog, sat partly on his lap in his car seat.

We played with him, and then D1 came home with Little Man -- the tumult of the house began, as Little Man does ALL The talking and craziness in that house. It was delightful. D1 had a client call, and so we entertained the little guys -- taking a walk in the lovely gated community.

One of the neighbors is a very large woman, whose son is an NBA star. She has a tiny little white dog, and seeing them together always brings a chuckle.

At 5, after D1's call, D2 and I decamped to the Vagabond Hotel, which has Mr. Mandolin, an outpost of the best Greek restaurant in Miami. They have a great happy hour, and D2 and I toasted our family, and ate, and then brought home dinner for D1 and Joey, with a large platter for Jonathan. I drove home one tired and happy Grandpa.

Tuesday after workout I had some errands, and met Mirta for dinner -- a week delayed celebration of her 60th birthday. We caught up about her family -- especially her beloved granddaughter, who is so bright but was satisfied to do office work, rejecting her grandmother's offer to send her to college. Well, her boss at the large plant supply company saw her spark, and has offered to pay ALL her tuition -- and it appears Karen is taking him up on it. Mirta is, of course, thrilled.

Wednesday I met my friend Pat at the Emporium -- he's in town to see clients. We had a little business about the investments he manages, but mostly caught up on families and the drama in Devonwood, where he was our across the street neighbor for years. He's now back in his native PA, with wife Susan, a Miami native who never liked hot weather.

And then it was to Flanagan's to meet Norman, whose wife is in Europe yoga-ing, which isn't a verb but ought to be. I thought I might skip the adult beverages, but then one of the many Flanagan's menus said that Stoli vodka martinis were $5.99 through June 1. I took it as a sign, in the way Irish poet Brendan Behan came to North America after seeing a "Drink Canada Dry" sign in a Dublin pub -- he took that as a challenge.

Yesterday was a workout, and then yet another friend lunch, and a stop at Total Wine for last night's HOA meeting. I told the Pres I would bring Billy Joel wine. She asked what that meant, and I told her: "Bottle of red; bottle of white."

We were expecting a contentious meeting, on account of a tempest in a teapot issue: our off duty FHP patrol wants a raise.  There was about 30 minutes of discussion, during which I chatted with our hosts' daughter, home from her senior year at Wellesley. I asked if she planned on law school like her Dad, or VERY involved in committee life like her Mom, and she said neither -- she wanted foreign service. I told her about my friend John, retired CIA agent, and she was actually interested, or at least it seemed so to this aging Boomer who loves to tell stories.

After the silliness, good cheer returned to the 50 or so of us there, and the Pres announced that Wifey and I were retiring from the Exec Board, which we've been on, more or less 20 years. Our neighbors Roberta and Joan asked if we were moving. We were NOT, I assured them, but just felt the older ones ought to give the younger ones a chance at leading their communities.

I said I didn't want to bring up national politics but then did, about how abhorrent it was that in a nation of 350 million, the best candidates we could come up with were Old and Older. My neighbor Frank, a hilarious , hard boiled D.C. guy and retired health care executive, applauded.

Anyway, we were thanked for our service, and they gave us a beautiful orchid. Wifey was excited -- she told me it was a $100 one. I just know I had to carry it home, since we had walked over to the meeting.

We stayed late and caught up with Roberta and Joan. Roberta was one of Wifey's fellow JCC Moms, with 2 girls about the Ds' ages. Years ago she left her husband Stan, who always, to me, looked like old reporter Gene Shalit's twin, for Joan. I'm always surprised more women don't go that path, having had too much of men.

This am I have a dental cleaning, and then have to drop off Wifey's wrecked car with the body shop. Ana said it may be a week or more they need to fix it.

And then Sunday we're off to Marathon, and a Spring Break with D1 and her men. We'll go earlier, as I just have to get Wifey out of the house, and not 2 active little critters, as D1 would say.

And somehow 2024 is already a quarter done. Man, these years fly by. I guess that happens when you're a not busy/busy man.

No comments: