Sunday, March 24, 2024

Changes in Eight Years

 So today a FaceBook (tm) memory popped up. Eight years ago Wifey and I took D1 and boyfriend Joey to NOLA, for D1's friend's Lauren's wedding. Lauren always felt close to Wifey and me and was kind enough to invite us -- it was a great time. And though I stay out of my Ds' friendships, Lauren and D1 grew apart and that may have been the last time I saw her. I hope she's doing well.

But the trip was significant -- Wifey and I really got to know Joey. D1 was a bridesmaid, and so we spent a lot of time with the man who would become our son in law and Daddy to the precious grandsons. We visited the National WW II Museum, which in my opinion may be the BEST museum in the US. As my parents were Greatest Generation members, I tend to have a bent to that era, like Spielberg and Tom Hanks do, but it was amazing. They were building a new pavillion about war refugees and I plan to see it in the future -- NOLA is a favorite of mine, and I'll take any excuse to visit.

We also ate well and a lot. The main dinner other than the wedding was at a place called Revolution, near the Sonesta. They seated us at the Chef's Table, and Joey and I bonded over a 90 oz hangar steak. Wifey and D1 shared a "visiting fish," a funny name, but made me feel bad for the fish for having picked the wrong place to visit.

I ate oysters at the Sonesta and watched the Canes lose an NIT game, and the wedding was the first time we had been in a Second Line, where we marched the streets behind a great band, celebrating the new couple.

And we talked to Joey, a lot, and grew close to him. It was the weekend Garry Shandling died, and I learned that the Sephardic Joey only shared SOME of our Ashkenazi sense of humor. But that was fine -- he adored our D1, and we knew he would treat her well and be a fine Daddy. And oh boy, has he!

Also, I recall something telling about him on the flight home. It was Easter Sunday, and many of the passengers waiting at Louis Armstrong International (the best named airport in the US) were Black people in their Easter best -- headed to family gatherings in South Florida. It was a VERY early flight. As we sat at the gate, bleary eyed, I heard my name called. Hmm...what was up?

When I got to the gate, there was a young Black Mom and an adorable son there -- probably about 4, in an Easter suit. The agent, a tall fellow, asked if I would mind moving my seat for the 1.5 hour flight, so Mom and son could sit together.  I was amazed he had to ask, looking at that beautiful pair. "Would anyone say no?" I asked the agent. He said I would be surprised.

So he gave me my new seat, and I was walking away, and he called me back. "Sir. I did something better. I have 3 seats in First -- I know you're a party of 4. Want 'em?" Of course!

I returned to Wifey and D1 and Joey, and told them the tale, but said we had to decide who was the short straw to sit in Economy. I really figured the women would sit up front, and Joey and I would flip for it. Joey took charge. "Not even a question. Sit with your wife and daughter. Don't be silly."

I know I would have, of course, done the same had I been with my late suegros, but it cemented he was my kind of fellow -- the way he answered to quickly.

Anyway, 8 years have passed, and today the two couples are off again on another trip -- to a resort in Marathon. D2 and Jonathan begged off -- saying Jonathan can't take off work Monday and Tuesday, but also, I suppose, because a trip with little guys is something they hope to have in the future, but for now, why volunteer?

And it occurs to me how the Big Man has blessed us. 8 years ago, an older married couple, their daughter, and 20 something boyfriend. Today, 2 married couples and adorable Little Man and Baby Man in tow.

If there's another steak -- we will happily share it with out next generation. Lots of fish visit the Keys.

No second line this vacation, but I am quite looking forward to spending lots of time with our grandsons. The older one is a sponge -- tons of questions about EVERYTHING, and Grandpa Dev has a lot to tell him -- maybe even something about NOLA...

No comments: