Sunday, March 10, 2024

An Excellent Way To Return From Vacation

 So I truly felt like just hanging around Villa Wifey yesterday, but Norman had given me 4 tix to take Little Man and his Dad to his first hockey game. Last season, I attended the final regular season game with him, and he had all kinds of credits with the team for being such a longstanding season ticket holder, and he showered my grandsons with Panthers swag. He felt it only appropriate they, or at least the older one, see a game.

Originally, it was to be little man and his Dad, Joey, and Tio Jonfin, but Jonfin had a social conflict he told me about while I was with Kenny, and Kenny said he'd love to go, even though it was just post vacay for him, too.

So after breakfast with our Panthers benefactor, Tio Norman, I started a bi county Uber day -- fetching Kenny in the Grove, and then up to Shorecrest, where we greeted Little Man, Joey, D1, and Baby Man, fresh up from a nap.

Little Man is VERY smart, but with accompanying anxieties, and as we left he expressed reluctance about driving "on the noisy highway." We assured him it would be fine, but then he passed the F out as soon as we turned onto 82 Street, and slept soundly the entire trip to Sunrise, awakening as we pulled into the parking space. He was a bit hangry, but once we got inside and got him some ice cream, and went to the seats, he beamed.

I was hoping to maybe make it though 1 of 3 periods, but he loved it so much, we made it through 2. Kenny, Joey and I toasted with some Corona, and after the second period, there were the obligatory hot dogs. The trip home, Kenny answered his questions about where the sun goes at night -- Little Man already knows about the planets. 

It was a thoroughly enjoyable drive -- 2 Boomers, One Millennial, and whatever Little Man's generation is called. We arrived home to D1 and Baby Man, and after Baby Man was put to bed, we cracked open the Bajan rum I had brought and tried it out. Pretty, pretty, pretty good -- we toasted a lovely Saturday.

Little Man was at a Marlins game or two, but he was a toddler -- I plan to bring him this year. I think I'll wait a bit for football -- maybe the 2025 season for that. I mean, I adore him, but don't want to plan to leave a Canes game early.

Today will be the anticipated at home day -- I bought a dehumidifier for the Bonus Room, which always smells musty on account of it's built above the garage, which has the pool filter and pump inside, and is always fairly humid. Maybe the dehumidifier will solve the problem once and for all.

I also plan to get back to my walking -- I only made my 7000 steps a few days during the vacation. Back to the gym on Tuesday...

And I shall have a quiet house. Joey is off to Mexico on a business trip, and D1 was invited to the luxury resort, but had to decline. Last time she was in Mexico, she picked up a bug that took 3 whole months to clear -- and her friend and GI and other doc friends agree it's best she avoid our neighbor to the South. I mentioned this to Dr. Green, our family dermatologist, and he supported the missing of the trip, too -- his wife and her family all got VERY sick at a luxury resort in Cabo, too, so he understands.

Anyway, Wifey is heading up to be assistant nanny for Monday through Wednesday, and then our wonderful consuegra Jacqui will help the rest of the week. We spoil our kids, as The Don said.

I guess we'll see if Little Man remembers yesterday as he grows. My first Mets game was when I was 5 -- I recall it clearly -- the greenest grass I had ever seen. I also recall my first trip to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks -- only one time -- but I was probably 10 or so. Same with the old Yankee Stadium -- one game -- I was 11 or so.

Shea and the Nassau Collisseum were my places, as well as the Commack Arena to watch Ducks games once in awhile. 

Of course, my sacred place was the now demolished Orange Bowl. When Little Man and Baby Man are older, and we're at Marlins games, which sits on that hallowed ground, I shall tell them the history. You have to listen to Grandpa Dev's boring stories.

So it was a fine transition back to SoFla. Oh yeah -- the Panthers won 5-1 -- they look like they'll make the Stanley Cup Finals again. Maybe this will be their first Cup. Now THAT will be something to tell Little Man someday...

No comments: