Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Dog Days of July

 So they're back -- in their hot and humid languidness -- the Miami Summer days. Apparently the world has experienced its hottest days ever, but hard to tell the difference here -- Miami in July is ALWAYS hot.

We got a nice little respite Thursday night. We met Joelle and Kenny for an outdoor dinner at Whisk -- a South Miami gem -- and ate outside under a tent. During a dinner a squall came in, with jungle-type rain, as we sat dry under the tent. The breezes were delightful -- and the temp lovely,as we finished our after dinner coffees. The rain stopped in time for Wifey and I to get into our Uber home.

I'm fully in the Uber camp now. First, parking in South Miami is tough to find, and Wifey prefers not to drive home at night. I cannot drive home after a few adult beverages, and so...I make believe I am Thurston Howell III and call for my car and driver. It's SO the way to go.

Yesterday was a lazy Friday -- I took a lovely Bo nap -- so named because the Special Needs Spaniel is the perfect nap companion. I awoke for Zoom time -- Eric and Dana and their crew saying the Shabbos prayers, as the kids chatter away, and then a grown up only continuation with Barry, Donna, Eric and Dana. Wifey slipped outside for the duration.

This am I awoke in the best possible way: D1 on a FaceTime (tm) call with her adorable bear cubs -- the older one was getting ready for gymnastics, and he had a few stories read to him waiting to leave. His little brother turns 1 this week -- and tomorrow there's a smash cake party for him. His older brother, the most food philic kid I ever knew, is MOST excited about the cake.

D1, on the FT, told the 3.6 year old they needed to stop at the Dollar Store on the way to gym class, and there might be something for him."To eat?" he asked plaintitively. He cracks us up all day.

Later the Ds are coming to Pinecrest to celebrate their dear friend Alyssa's birthday at Alyssa's parents' house. Alyssa told Wifey and I to come by -- but we're taking a Pasadena -- no other Boomers will be there except for Alyssa's parents -- we prefer to let the young-uns enjoy themselves with minimal Boomer interference.

I sort of feel like a nice dinner tonight, though, since last night I just heated up a can of Hormel chili -- and am thinking about Perry's in Merrick Park. I last minute invited Paul -- he's on Pop-Pop duty all day, and MAY join -- but if I know my people -- the day will tire him so that a drive from Aventura to the Gables might not sound so great.

When Wifey arises, I will share the bad news -- she needs to shower and dress later for a nice dinner. All my women get annoyed when I try to "make everything so fun!"

Meanwhile, on the office front, it appears old friend Vince may be re-joining the band. Stuart's associate for the past 3 years left, and Stu needs someone to actually do the lawyer work -- and Vince has been in boring Deerfield Beach the past time -- looks like he's ready to return to the 305. I think this is a great move for them -- and I look forward to more time with the nearly 45 year old -- we had some times together back in the day.

So WDNA is playing Blues, which I love, and is telling me maybe that second Keurig cup makes more sense than my long walk in the heat and humidity -- I'll get to that sometime later -- maybe after a cooling, drenching rain.

No comments: