Friday, July 21, 2023

Dem Bones Dem Bones...

 So I was hoping to have an event-less birthday, just sort of slouch into my 63rd year, and I ALMOST got my wish.

On Tuesday, Wifey and I drove up to North Miami and fetched the hilarious toddler, along with Tia D2. We took him for "eye cream," and then home. Joey came home, too, and we shared a birthday L'chaim, and also celebrated Joey's new vehicle, which is the GMC version of my SUV. Man sized car.

D2, Wifey, and I repaired to a new restaurant called "New Schnitzel," on 79th Street. D1 had been and said I would love it, and I did. Classic German fare mixed with the MiMo hipster vibe, but done well, not preciously. We ate, and toasted, and then each headed home.

Wifey and I were relaxing on the couch, when Wifey started reading a text from D1, that began "Don't tell Dad, but..." Well Wifey DID tell Dad -- I guess she felt guilty about not buying me a birthday gift, and wished to make sure I at least received some tensosity.

It turned out that the little man had rolled off his bed during story time -- a small fall onto a rug, but fell funny on his foot and was in pain. Joey had him off to urgent care. Sure enough, there was a small fracture -- he's already seen an ortho, and will be just fine -- though several weeks in a walking boot so his toe heals right, and, of course, no soccer.

Coincidentally, the baby had an ortho appointment set for the very same day, yesterday, and I met D1 and that beautiful baby at Miami Children's, to drop off an extra stroller we had, in case the big brother needs to be wheeled around on any long hikes during his healing. Thankfully the news for the little guy was great, too, as delivered by, well, no proper way to say it, a total smoke show of a young female ortho doc from Germany. She reported the little guy is just fine, despite his unfortunate genetic history of dodgy hips -- from my family.

Being a mature, now 62 year old, classy man, I immediately forwarded a promotional video of this young orthopedic doc to my friends, to invite their input on her medical training and qualifications. It was agreed -- she was indeed well qualified, and the hope is someday she moves cross town to the Children's Hospital where my brother Barry is the jefe. Hey -- if I get tensosity, I have to find a way to make light of it!

So all's well that ends well, though in hindsight, as D1 had attempted, it would have been just fine to spare me the worry on my actual birthday. Yeah -- like that ever happens!

But in the Birthday Department, aforementioned Dr. Barry has a big one coming up on Monday: he's turning 60. He is self effacing to a fault, and always worried about others instead of himself, and I think was going to let it pass without celebration.

I told him I was a firm believer in following The Chairman's advice and doing it "Your Way, " but ought to consider the sage advice of Rabbi Yossi. Assuming you believe in the Big Man (he does) and believe your life is a gift from Him (he does) than isn't failing to mark at least the milestone birthdays (the zeros and 5s) kind of ungrateful?

Well, in any event, Dr. Barry decided he WOULD host a dinner, and tomorrow night a dozen of us will meet in confederacy at Motek, an Israeli place in Aventura. My nephew of another mister Scott is flying in from D.C. with his lady Sam, my other nephew Josh, already local will be there, and friends who truly love this man, for very good reason, will attend, too.

I completely savored MY 60th two years ago -- a weekend on Key Biscayne, as I did it MY way. Only Kenny and Joelle, who I wished there, had to miss on account of a wedding in California, and two guests were included to keep Wifey happy -- but all in all, it was a wonderful time. And at its end, on Sunday night, I met the Ds and their men for a great meal at Capitol Grille. Yes -- starting my 61st year of life was grand.

I look forward to watching one of the greatest humans I have ever known likewise enjoy this passage of time -- a time to take stock, verily. 

We're going to be a tribe of mostly Ashkenazim, so there will be much cracking wise, I know, with a strong undercurrent of love. 

Hopefully HIS stressors will leave him the hell alone this weekend. That's a true privilege.

No comments: