Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Birthday Steak

 Thursday and Friday we had our friend Allison as a house guest -- of course I kept calling her Kato Kaelin. Luckily no wives or waiters were murdered during her stay. She's helping Wifey decorate and organize -- the latter a herculean task. Several years ago, the Ds tried, and removed 4 hefty bags worth of 1980s era workout outfits. Wifey was very angry. She has issues.

Allison likes to drink, and I don't drink alone, so there were cocktails both nights -- going hard, as the millennials say, on Friday. We turned our Zoom with Eric, Dana, Barry, and Donna into a more lively than normal virtual party -- so much that Barry checked in on me Saturday am. Nah -- my secret is only vodka -- never a hangover.

Allison bolted Saturday am -- to check on her declining Dad, who is 91. He's a great guy -- lives on the very street D2 and Jonathan just bought their house -- but time's chariot has caught up with Sy, unfortunately.

We had plans for a Full Squad dinner at the Palm for my 62nd, but D1 caught a bug again, and so it was just the four of us. They bought me my favorite gift -- an arm of Stoli Elit, and that ended up being the basis for a "Curb" like moment at the end of the evening.

We toasted, and savored the steaks -- what a contrast to the crappy Perry's the week before. Our server was great, heavily NY accented, per normal at The Palm, and we truly feasted -- talking about the new house, and upcoming trip for the young-uns.

After carrot and cheesecake, it was time to go, and we gathered on the small porch to wait for the valets. D2 needed cash for their car, and I handed her the heavy vodka bottle. I noticed she was struggling a bit, and just then, an older lady with ponderous bat wings, for some reason in a sleeveless dress, walked out. As she passed, I said to D2 "Heavy arm, right?" The patron looked at me with great anger, thinking I was making fun of her. I stumbled and pointed to D2 -- "Oh no -- heavy ARM of vodka!" But I still got the stinkeye. Jonathan I stifled laughter. This one will become family lore, along with the time Wifey thought a Spanish accented waited was saying "Feesh" instead of "Quiche" and inadvertently insulted him. 

Hey -- it happens.

Wifey drove us home, though I went less hard than Friday. I like to drink but remain somewhat of a lightweight -- I simply can't take alcohol more than a few nights in a row. I guess my aging liver appreciates it.

I think this afternoon we'll head back North -- to spell D1 and Joey for awhile with the energetic toddler. He's hilarious -- goes and goes -- Energizer bunny-like, until he literally keels over at the end of the day. In other words, thankfully a normal little boy.

Tomorrow evening we're headed to the South Dade JCC -- a place so much a part of the Ds childhoods, and where we haven't been in a decade. There's a memorial service for my friend Yossi's father Meir, who died last month.

Rabbi Meir was high up in the Chabad heirarchy -- a rabbi known to all -- and I assume there'll be tons of folks there. I'm sure the visit to the J will bring back memories of pick up/drop off at Summer camp -- for so many years. And now we help do that with a grandson. Sunrise;sunset.

Tuesday is my actual birthday -- but no big whoop. I plan to get my haircut, work out, and then fetch the grandson at school -- for eye cream afterwards.

So another trip around the sun comes to an end, soon. And I, like my late friend and mentor Judge Murray Meyerson, have no just complaints.

No comments: