Sunday, July 9, 2023

Restaurant Review: M is for Mediocre

 So after eating some warmed up chili on Friday night, I decided we should have a nice meal Saturday. Wifey suggested we invite her friend Diane, and I made reservations at Perry's Steakhouse in the Gables. I had a nice lunch there with Norman in the past, and thought we'd give dinner a try.

We went to Diane's Grove condo and met Tootsie, her new adorable Havanese -- which replaced Sherlock and Watson, now crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. We had some cocktails and admired the ever changing view -- 2 new condos developed by the billionaire Italian Cipriani family have topped off. I also shot a photo of Kenny and Joelle's building and texted it -- to let them know a creepy guy was watching them.

We drove to Merrick Park. Perry's was buzzing -- every table taken, and it's a big restaurant. We were led to ours, and then...nothing. No server awhile, until a friendly fellow came by, comically hurried, and said he would be back for our drink orders. That happened 15 minutes later, and Diane, who is particular about her cocktails, sort of got rushed through her questions. I got my usual Ketel martini.

The food was mediocre -- we had asked for rare -- the steaks were medium well. The "NY Strip Flight" had 3 small medallions, as did their "signature filet" medallions. The two steak dishes were about $120 -- and had it been three guys there, it would have been an appetizer. We also got 3 sides.

When the bus person brought the steaks and started to walk away, I said "Look -- I try not to be a Karen, but we DO need some plates to eat on." 10 minutes later, as the steaks got to cool down, she returned with the dishes.

We DID get another round of drinks (Diane switched to wine) and then the harried waiter returned -- dessert? The ladies said no, but I kind of wanted a coffee. Too late -- the fellow ran away -- and I comically asked the absent waiter, if "Please, Sir, may I have some coffee?" Yeah -- when you pay $120 per person for dinner, being like Oliver Twist isn't so funny.

I paid, and gave the waiter 15% instead of my usual 20%. I looked for a manager to speak with -- no on in sight.

So I just came home and wrote an accurate review on Open Table, and Yelp. There are just too many good steakhouses in Miami to put up with nonsense.

We NEVER had a poor experience at The Palm, or Capitol Grille, or Christy's. Ruths' Chris in the Gables is good, too -- though Flemings is long off my list -- 2 bad experiences there years ago.

Ah -- to have these First World problems! We never forget how lucky we are.

Today we're off soon to D1 -- to celebrate our younger grandson's FIRST BIRTHDAY. Wow -- that went fast! His older brother is most excited about the cake. The little guy is quite taciturn.

So, adios, Perry's. By the looks of the crowd last night, they won't miss us at all. A great steak dinner is my favorite restaurant experience -- and Perry's fell way short.

No comments: