Sunday, July 2, 2023

Jabbing Away

 There are plenty of anti-vaxxers, and I am solidly PRO-vax. If the FDA and CDC tell me there's a new jab that prevents excessive flatulence -- I'll get it. Actually, Wifey would be very happy with that...

Best I could glean from the tons of information, since I'm older than 60 and less than svelte, I was a candidate for a bivalent booster. I got the first bivalent in May of '22 -- it was either my 5th or 6th Covid jab -- I honestly lost count, even with my vaxx card. I was "eligible" for the second bivalent in April of this year, but I strategized: since we were going to South America in early December, I would wait until September, so that I would still have strong immunity for the 9 hour flights, and whatever Covid carriers we might meet in Argentina and Chile.

Well, Fate intervened, and there will be no trip in December. Meanwhile, Wifey reported that her friend Cara has Covid currently, for the THIRD time, and I keep hearing anecdotal tales of some sort of late Spring/early Summer surge. So I figured why not -- and visited my local Walgreens this am.

I had a 10:30 appointment, and of course was there by 10. I checked in, and it was amazing -- I was clearly the only one there for a jab. Even as late as last May, there was a wait. No more -- I guess Covid fatigue has truly set in.

In fact, you hear of no cases of people hospitalized anymore because of it, and indeed my own Covid experience was more annoying than terrible -- sick as hell -- but for only 3 days. What was strange was how it came on -- sitting with Wifey and D2 and Jonathan watching a Heat game, feeling fine, and then getting up and shivering as if someone plopped me into a meat locker.

I realize this latest jab probably won't stop me from getting the bug again, but will hopefully minimize symptoms.

While I was waiting, I decided to look up the status of 23/24 flu shots, and, indeed, outgoing CDC Director and painfully obvious Jewess Rachel Wollensky just signed off on the new formula -- and recommends getting THAT jab in September or October. And I plan to.

Another reason to get the jab: I read that Walgreens was having major financial problems -- with decreased sales and vaxx income. So I thought I was doing my part for my pharmacy provider's corporate numbers, too.

On the illness front, hopefully D1 is finally on the mend from the nasty bug that kept us off the cruise. Joey is fine, as is the adorable toddler -- she got it last and worst, as I had feared. 

So today, Wifey and I will head up there, to take the little guy out for "eye cream" and maybe a visit to the local urban farm -- to give his parents a little break from his non stop energy.

This all reminded me of one of the fortunately few times Wifey got a nasty flu when the Ds were little. I recall coming home from work, and the Ds, probably 3 and 6, were crawling all over Wifey, who was barely conscious. I think I took them to Hopps -- an old favorite near the Falls, where they loved the honey coated rolls. No wonder D1 became a dietitian.

Meanwhile, my fears of Covid vaccine side effects came true: I sat at the piano when I got home, and could not play. Oh well...


No comments: