Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday With The Boys

 So D1 was enjoying her Saturday night in Chicago -- sending me pictures of my favorite steak place, Gibson's, but making clear she and her flock of girlfriends did NOT plan to have dinner there. She also sent a shot of famous deep dish pizza place Lou Malnatti's. Eh. I'm not a deep dish pizza fan -- to me NY style is the way to go. The deep dish is really a doughy tomato pie. Chicagoans can keep it.

Joey and the nanny had things well in hand, but we were certainly invited for a Saturday visit, and so Wifey and I got in the manly SUV and drove up to Shorecrest. We arrived and the happy toddler was looking out the window for us -- happy his Ippi and Dev were there.

We played, and savored his baby brother, who is truly the most chill baby we've been around. You truly forget he's there until the occasional "Meep," followed by a smile and a wave, or maybe a clap of hands. He is so precious.

The toddler was busy playing and destroying stuff -- so different for us than the girlie girls we raised. Finally he took his IPad and started watching -- allowing Joey to sneak upstairs for a long shave and shower.

Wifey and I love it, too -- we get to sit next to him and stroke him while he is focused on his shows -- some hilarious, like a British cooking demonstration where he shouts along with some of the ingredients.

After Joey came back, we offered a trip to the Miami Shores "eye cream" place he likes, for some of his favorite flavor: "pink." He is so sweet -- reminding us to bring some dulce de leche for the nanny, which we did.

We put the little guy to sleep after his bath, and then Joey and I poured a few adult beverages -- Ketel for me, and a beer for Joey. I toasted him -- the best and most loving and devoted Dad a suegro could hope for his grandkids.

As the ketel took effect, I ordered Uber Eats -- a barbecue place that seemed pretty "on point" as the Millennials say -- from Midtown. Joey bathed the toddler, and I ate delicious brisket burnt ends and some beans -- it was indeed delicious. Wifey deferred on her chicken -- she's on one of those weight loss injections and it is truly working -- she's down 20 and eats the way I should.

Joey brought down a very clean little guy, and it was story time. I read him an Eric Carle about making a pancake, in English, as he has both English and Spanish books. Wifey read another book, and then it was Joey's turn -- Wifey and I got exquisite hugs and we were out the door.

Turns out this grandparent gig really IS wonderful -- you get the best of the kids, and leave the heavy lifting for the parents.

We returned to some happy dogs, and a little TV -- talking about how precious are those boys.

I was supposed to call back D2 -- she and Jonathan are immersed in home improvements for their new place in Miami Shores -- due to close in late June. I texted that we got home late -- they were out at dinner -- but we could catch up today.

Wifey asked me about my thoughts about the project and I told her I had very strong feelings about what they were doing -- and those feelings were informed by the NUNYA Company, as in none my business.

My late father in law Richard was always very quick to tell me "how tings be done!!!" and I vowed at that time that, when the time came, I would be the opposite. I'll share opinions when asked, but otherwise hold my peace.

Being an awesome father in law is important to me, and it involves generously giving but with no strings attached. Plus, I don't know nothin' about birthin' no house projects -- other than falling asleep weekend afternoons to PBS's "This Old House."

Speaking of grandfather related issues, tomorrow I see one of my TWO eye doctors -- the one from South Africa monitoring my pressure. Hopefully the nightly drops are keeping it in check. I think I see his partner, the retina guy, the following week -- hopefully no new tears or anything.

Yep -- doctors as we age. An unfortunate fellow traveler to the advancing years. But if they give me more time with those grandkids -- well -- not a huge price to pay.

No comments: