Monday, June 19, 2023

My Father's Son -- No Alarm Clock Needed

 As a young boy and then teen, I slept very well. I remember it was the 6th grade when my Mom decided she would no longer wake me for school, and my parents bought me a clock radio to do the job. Man -- I loathed the sound of the music at 6:40 a.m. -- the time to wake up to go to early to school.

But my Dad had a superpower. He NEVER needed an alarm clock. He said it started in the Army -- he knew when he had to awaken, and he simply did it -- no matter how early. I never understood, until I got older -- and then I inherited the superpower. And sure enough, today I set my clock radio, now a Bose Wave model that plays nice quality sound, and sure enough I was up and at 'em a full 1.5 hours before it was time to get up. Maybe I can catch up on some sleep on the plane.

Meanwhile, I may have had the best Father's Day of all time -- a day early. The crew arrived, and we shared Anthony's Coal Fired, and I poured some Stoli Elit martinis for Jonathan and myself. Joey stuck to beer. The rains swept by, leaving it less than torrid, and we set out, minus Wifey who really doesn't enjoy walking in the heat, on a mango hunt. And the toddler was ebullient. As Tio Jonfin and Daddy jumped into the trees to pull them down, he laughed SO hard -- and put the fruit into a bag I gave D1 -- a gift from O.Miami, a poetry non profit I support since my friend's daughter is now Development Director -- the bag says "Dade Poet's Society." Get it?

His baby brother, who we call "The best baby in the world" because he is, looked around at all the activity in wonder. We ran into a few different neighbors and I proudly introduced my tribe to them -- Gloria was on her way out with her son and his husband, visiting from New Jersey. And then we ran into another new neighbor -- part of a lesbian couple who rescue dogs. No one can say our leafy 'hood isn't LGBTQ friendly!

Anyway -- back to the house, and D1 and family left around 630. D2 and Jonathan stayed for another martini for Jonathan -- D2 was driving anyway, and we went over remodel plans for their new house in Miami Shores. Yes -- it was a delightful FD for this aging, rocking Daddy in the USA.

So Kenny and I are off soon -- 830 flight to Philly, change planes, and then a flight to Portland, where Kenny rented a car. If all goes to plan, we return Wednesday, three cats in tow. And it's funny -- we shared a tale with Joelle the other day I was sure she had heard, but somehow had missed. It was about a field trip Kenny and I took back in 1978. We two honors students forgot about expensive NY tolls, and had to sell some band M and Ms to raise money to get as far as eastern NYC, and then a stop at Kenny's aunt to get the money for the LI tolls. Much laughter resulted when the smartest guy in our high school and his next tier friend returned, barely.

Luckily, this trip, we can afford it, although in the worst case scenario, I guess we can sell a cat or two for Uber fare back to the Grove from FLL.

So the dogs have been fed. Wifey is deep in slumber. Since I'm so early anyway -- maybe I'll grab breakfast at the Centurion Lounge at MIA -- my favorite way to start a trip. I'll text Kenny -- if he's early, too, he can join me. Otherwise, we'll meet at the gate for the great cat trip of '23.

Of course, I thought a lot about my Dad yesterday. Boy, do I miss him, and have since July of 1982. The years have a way of slipping by, as Willie Nelson sang so poetically.

But Dad is still here with me -- sans alarm clock, as always.

No comments: