Friday, February 3, 2023

Valentine's Day For The Long Married

 Oh, those many years of celebrating the day of Love with Wifey -- from February of 1984 onward.It's now coming close to 4 decades of this stuff. This year I went all out. Yesterday I ordered her gift.

I went on Amazon and bought a Kohler pressure assist toilet. Wifey has been asking me for buy one for years, on account of her greater than average clogging of toilets. I really should have, as I'm the only one with the arm strength to free many of her clogs, but I put it off. Another member of our family has the same proclivity, but he only lived here 9 months and moved out.

So with Valentine's Day near, I went full on romantic -- to the very base of our relationship. The toilet is scheduled for delivery Friday, and then I will call South End Plumbing (their real name) to come install it. Here's to retiring the plunger.

Oh yeah, I also bought us expensive tickets to see Springsteen the Tuesday before VD. We're taking Paul and Patricia, who have never seen the Boss. I already gave them some tips -- like don't say "Springsteen concert," say "Springsteen show." They're ready.

The deal was I got the tickets; Paul provides transport, alcohol, and dinner. He has a driver and the alcohol, and then we decided on the newly reopened Runway 84 -- very close to the Seminole property. Paul assumed there would be ZERO issue having dinner on a Tuesday at 430 pm. He assumed wrong -- $200 non refundable deposit for dinner. Normally we'd have told them to fuggetttaboudit, but it IS the perfect place for a pre Boss show. So that's the plan.

But MOST importantly, today is D2's 31st birthday! We spent a lovely afternoon yesterday -- we were pressed into child care, as D1 had meetings in the afternoon. We fetched the adorable toddler from school, and drove home. D2 asked him where were stopped. "On a bridge! The boats go on the water under it!" Ok -- he's only 3. I was impressed, though I imagine there's nothing less objective than a loving grandpa.

We gave him his snack and played with his baby brother and then walked to his friend's park nearby. We passed by the Heat player's Mom walking her comically tiny dog. I say that since her son is near 7 feet and her dog is tiny -- I would have thought she'd have gone bigger.

On the way home, we stopped at Pura Vida for some healthy wraps, and talked of the years gone by. I gave her a diary Wifey and I kept from the days before she was born, including a vintage Wifey entry saying "I love you. Get out!" The entries ran from then to age 7. We laughed -- by 7 she was the person she is now: beautiful, brilliant, and not flashy about either her looks or brains. I kind of dig her.

We're going to celebrate tonight at Il Gabbianno, which one might argue is the best restaurant in the state. It's beautiful -- right at the mouth of the Miami River, where it meets Biscayne Bay, and the food is amazing. We'll toast Tia Avi, as her 3 year old sobrino calls her. I am QUITE looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, the Valentine's toilet is due soon. Ah, romance.

No comments: