Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Old Neighbors

 So Susan, Pat, and their kids Marie and Little Patrick (now well over six feet) lived across the street from us from '02 through '16. Marie and D2 were friends -- the same age -- and are attending a mutual friend's wedding this weekend. Pat became my stock broker, and early on suggested I double down on an investment -- put in twice what I typically did -- on some fruit company. That $20K grew to well over $1M -- it was, of course, Apple, and the money has been given to charity, and the Ds, and still occupies a nice piece of my portfolio. 

Though Susan is a native Miamian, she wanted a change, and so they moved to the Poconos, where they owned a golf house for quite awhile. Little Patrick went off to Michigan for college, and is now a financial guy in Chicago, and Marie went to Boston College, taught English in China, and then got an MFA in Creative Writing at UF.

In July of '21, as I was walking in the 'hood, a car slowed down, and the two occupants said hello. It was Marie and her girlfriend Hannah -- Marie was showing Hannah her childhood home. I brought them in, and Wifey, D2, and I had a lovely reunion.

Well, Marie contacted me last week to say she had a new job -- Development Director for O Miami, a local poetry festival, which encourages poetry and educates poorer kids about the beauty of the medium. Marie was coming to town -- could we meet? We could, and yesterday had a delightful breakfast at Bagel Emporium.

Marie is just an awesome young lady. We laughed about the old times in the 'hood, caught up on mutual friends, and laughed about her cultural background. She's Irish Catholic, and attended Catholic high school. Most of the girls were named Sofia, and the boys from the brother schools were all Javi, short for Javier. I told her most of my Ds' sorority sisters at their Jewish house at UF were Ali or Jordana, and how I loved to visit and tell the receptionist I was looking for someone 5'4" with dark hair -- the classic AEPHi phenotype! Ah, political incorrectness.

Anyway, I connected Marie with my old English prof at UM, John Paul, a true 19th century man. I also put her in touch with the Development person at FIU I work with -- and sure enough, that woman has 2 girls who go to Carrollton, Marie's alma mater. Miami Catholic Mafia, it seems.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with this wonderful girl -- and look forward to having her visit the 305 often. Who knows? I may even drag Wifey to a poetry event -- get out of her movie comfort zone.

The day was to be a continuation of our former neighbors. Pat fetched me at 5, and we drove to Fox's. He had to field calls from Steve and Linda, two friends I referred to him. They love the job he's doing with their investments.

After the call, we raised out glasses, and I toasted to us -- 2 Dads who raised 4 amazing kids. We joked that for a Dad, raising a son is easier -- just keep him out of prison. But raising a daughter is fraught with peril, and Pat and I navigated those dangerous seas like seasoned mariners!

Pat left for his Air BnB, and I Ubered home. It was a fine Tuesday. Nice to go back to the future every once in awhile.

No comments: