Monday, February 27, 2023

Banned!

 I guess it was just a matter of time, but I've been banned from an app, or web page, or whatever it is: NextDoor Pinecrest. I saw it coming.

Our leafy Village of Pinecrest (VOP) is engaged in our biggest controversy since its incorporation. I prefer to pronounce that like the Brits: conTROversy -- sounds more elite. This Trumper residents named Laura McNaughton lost her bid for a VOP Council seat. She didn't just lose -- she was stomped -- by Shannon Del Prado. Shannon is a very bright, centrist lawyer, who also happens to be model gorgeous. Laura looks like she owns a lesbian biker bar in North Florida. I only add these appearance details in a nod to political incorrectness -- misogyny division.

Anyway, after Laura lost, she went full Qanon -- determined to take down the Council. She raised money from some Trumper-types in Texas, and sued the Council about increased zoning density along US 1. She lost. So she then gathered signatures for a charter amendment -- to take away zoning decisions from the Council, and require them to be put to a vote where 60% of the voters must approve. 

It's absurd, but like Trump was absurd, resonating with populist sentiment about taking back control of our lives from "Arrogant government." Even in Pinecrest, which has excellent government!

Right now, there's a mail in election. Hopefully the No votes prevail, and Laura goes back under a rock, or figures out new and more creative ways to annoy all of us. I never met her, and never hope to.

But Loni and Mike know her, as she lives close to them. Mike shared a story that she came up their driveway, and Loni ignored her ringing the bell, as she wanted no part of this debate. Laura stood outside and said "Open up -- I KNOW you're there!" As I said -- creepy and aggressive. And churlish, as the great character Mr. Garvey would add.

Anyway, the NextDoor App or site has been abuzz. And the opinions have been NASTY! The No proponents tend to cite facts and statistics, with the over arching message that things are fine here -- leave well enough alone. The Yes folks misspell and mess up grammar a lot, as they say Yes means we won't become another Brickell -- with high rises everywhere. But a worse Brickell -- a crime riddled one! We have essentially no crime in Pinecrest, other than the occasional theft of a car or theft of stuff left in an open car.

To this debate, I thought someone needed to be the VOP wiseass, and who better than I? So I started making fun, mostly of the Yes people, but occassionally the strident No supporters, too. My signature line is that we need red ballcaps with white lettering saying "Make Pinecrest Great Again," while acknowledging that  Muh - PUGA doesn't roll off the tongue nearly as well as  MAGA.

I guess whoever monitors the app-site took offense. I started noticing fewer email alerts about follow up to posts. I then went to comment, and was told I was banned -- but might apply for reinstatement after February 28.

Nah. Probably best thing to happen to me -- I was spending too much time exercising my frustrated "Onion" talents there. I'll find a new hobby.

Meanwhile, we had a lovely Sunday, to follow our great Saturday. Barry and Donna and Scott and Sam met us at LOL for a great "Barry has to drive 30 miles for eggs on his day off" breakfast, and then they came back to Villa Wifey. D2 and Jonathan were here fetching their enormous dog and Jeep, and we all hung for a few hours -- the men drank a beer.

Betsy did her lap dog routine -- she's 93 lbs and likes to get on guests' laps like a little white dog -- and we had a lovely time. 

D2 and Jonathan left for the Beach, and the Barry clan to fetch dim sum for a family gathering later.

My other nephew of another brother is due back tonight from Israel, and to our house Tuesday to dog/house sit for us.

Tonight we fetch Edna and Marc, let Edna hold the marshmallow baby, and then dinner. Tomorrow it's off to Key West -- the place to be if you're looking for immortality, per the great Bob Dylan.

Yes -- real life things trump stupid social media. In my case -- no choice -- I'm banned.

No comments: