Friday, February 10, 2023

Flushing Away Our Troubles

 So Wifey doesn't "do mornings," and even though the new plumbing fixture was a gift to her, I stayed home from workout yesterday to deal with the friendly neighborhood plumbers from South End. The master plumber, an affable Cuban guy, has my exact July birthday, but is 3 years older. Despite that, he looks 10 years younger, on account of he has a physical job and is always in motion. Plus, he makes people happy all day by fixing their plumbing -- talk about job satsifaction!

Anyway, they arrived and had the new pressure assist unit installed in less than an hour. I tried it out -- impressive! It sounds like the toilet on an airplane. I look forward to never having to plunge after Wifey again. The seat was missing, but came in the afternoon -- I installed it myself in a jiffy. 

They told me the cost to remove the old toilet was $45, and said I could of course just drop it at the nearby transfer station. I did so this am, and felt like I earned $45 for my effort. I hearkened back to my first job -- cutting lawns in my Wantagh, LI 'hood for $5 apiece. 9 lawns earned me $45, and that was a lot. This job was far easier and better paying, and the weightlifting it required made up for some of my missed session yesterday with Juan.

Yesterday I had dinner and drinks with Charlie, a young lawyer friend of D2 and Jonathan's. He handles commercial cases, and Paul and I will refer them to him as they come. I had told Charlie about Fox's Lounge, and he wanted to try it out. His wife was working, and I Ubered over. What a pleasure -- no need to find parking, and I could have that extra martini without fear of encountering the local constabulary on my way home. I love Uber.

Tonight I plan to Zoom with my friends. We started this at the beginning of the plague, and realized it was a nice way to get together without anyone having to drive over 3 counties. Next week I'm going to the Canes baseball first game with Mike, and so won't Zoom, but nights without plans it makes for a lovely time.

Tomorrow we see the grandsons, and Sunday I have lunch plans with my friend John and Steve. John hasn't seen Steve since Steve's had major medical issues -- he'll be shocked. But after that is the Super Bowl, which I plan to quietly enjoy with some takeout (actually deliver in) food. Ah, February.

I told Wifey I wanted to take her picture atop the new throne, giving the thumbs up sign. She disagrees with this. But still, for me, mission accomplished. It's nice to still be romantic.

No comments: