Tuesday, July 12, 2022

When The Change Was Made Uptown and the Big Man Joined the Band

 Well, in our case, it's a new LITTLE MAN -- D1 and Joey welcomed a bouncing baby boy yesterday! Thanks to the true Big Man, all went well, and it even appears our dear friend Rabbi Yossi will be back from Israel in time to preside over our new grandson's joining of the tribe this Monday. At that time, his name becomes public, but our kids already brought Wifey and I teary eyes by choosing names that honor my late mother and Wifey's parents. Since Sephardim handily allow naming after LIVING relatives, the new guy honors some of Joey's people, too. Talk about handy!

So last week Wifey came down with a nasty cold late Wednesday. I escaped it, I thought, and met Dr. Barry and his crew up in Weston Friday night after a negative Wifey PCR test showed I wasn't a Covid vector. It was delightful -- Scott and his lady Sam were in from DC, and we all caught up -- hadn't seen them in too long, as the Plague canceled our planned trip to them in April.

Anyway, late Friday evening my waterworks started, and I was treated to a classic nasty wet cold that is thankfully better today, finally -- my typical 4 day run. It was almost a relief to have a good old fashioned non Covid illness, though it kept us from seeing our latest grandson just yet -- Barry ordered NO contact until fully over colds -- not good for newborns.

But back to the positive. D1 and Joey checked in, and things went swimmingly. D2 said Barry and I were Mafia like -- Barry even had his NICU colleague "spying" on the OB suite, even though there was no medical indication the new man would need that care. Wifey is totally bummed to have missed meeting the boy right away -- asked me if I felt the same. Honestly, I replied, not really -- with Barry there, I'm fine.

Meanwhile, big brother is happily about his summer camp business, under the comically loving care of Joey's parents, and enjoying the final days before his days as the center of the known universe get rocked. Jonathan's parents tell an adorable tale: when they brought him home, big brother Dan came over and smacked him on the head -- he saw no need for an intruder into his bucolic life in Caracas. The joke is that Joey will get the baby a helmet.

Also, Jonathan played a great practical joke on his brother and sister in law. He told them that the baby's name is Paco, which is, apparently a very funny old timey Mexican name, and not one that modern Latin Jews would ever pick, but that D1 and Joey did because it rhymes with Jaco, big brother. We all found great hilarity in this -- I think by now Jonathan came clean.

Meanwhile, we have been tasked with hosting the bris, which we much look forward to. Unfortunately Eric and Dana have to miss it because Dana has surgery the following day, and is avoiding any gatherings on account of Covid. D1 charmed Dana this am by saying she understands Dana is in "hip hibernation." Dana called specially to tell me how much she loves that neologism, and plans to use it.

Also, we live in what the Cubans call Casa Carajo, which translates roughly to "way the hell out there," and the party is set for 9 am Monday. It also happens to fall on my 61st birthday, and I can't imagine a better way to spend my birthday! Well -- there was that one year back in 1981...but who remember that now?

Wifey is feeling better today, and is atwitter with getting the house ready for the latest gathering. Rabbi Yossi presided over Wifey's mother's funeral less than one month ago. It'll be joyful having him preside over this much happier occasion. We're literally living out the Laura Nyro lyric: "And when I die, and when I'm gone... there'll be one child born in this world to carry on, to carry on."

Hopefully D1 and new Little Man get sprung from the hospital by tomorrow -- it seems that 2 nights following a C section are the minimum.

And as for me, I continue to than the Big Man -- most recently for the new little man.

Turning 61 can be just fine.

No comments: