Saturday, July 16, 2022

Making the Magical Our of the Mundane

So new little man had his first doc visit today, and happily is "textbook," as Wifey said of her mother after her first pediatric visit. His hermano grande was due for jab number 2, in our 'hood, and since I haven't seen him since July 4, decided to meet up.

First of all, he taught me a new Spanish word: vacuna, which means vaccine. He knew why he was there, and got distracted with orange slices during the jab. But then, afterwards, he went out of the treatment room at the mini clinic for his "queso," cheese, and marched right back to the chair where he got jabbed. The PA was gracious, and let him have his dairy reward right there -- she said she was the mother of two small boys herself, and got them.

Afterwards, Grandpa Dev, as he calls me, said that his bravery deserved a toy, and he picked out a beach truck. Also, we bought flowers for D1, as well as the nanny Lisette, who is really now part of the family.

As I drove home, it occurred to me that the trick in life is simple: making a mundane task magical. So many of us seek "big events" to make us happy. Today, happiness came in being a part of my grandson's now routine Covid prevention.

Meanwhile, the typical summer rains of Miami haven't really started, and so we've had more of a Las Vegas kind of heat, or a drier heat. It's still hot as hell, though today's walk was bearable thanks to a nice breeze.

Still, Wifey and I are ready for a break, and today I booked flights to Maine, to accept Joelle and Kenny's gracious offer of a few days at their lovely lake side house in Oxford. That little respite from the Tropics in summer ought to be lovely -- and we thoroughly enjoy their company.

As I write, Wifey is in full puttering mode -- moving stuff around in preparation for Monday's birthday bris. It's my birthday, and the bris of our new little, little man, or hermanito, as his brother calls him.

I may actually go down to the Redlands tomorrow, to Angel's Hatchery, to buy myself a koi or two as a birthday gift. We'll see.

No comments: