Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Early News Memory

 I never answer those group questions on FaceBook (tm) like one's favorite music group, or pet's name, since I was taught they are data miners. Apparently they can use your answers to figure out passwords, or challenge questions, which they sell to hackers. But Bill Maher's site caught my eye with a question, and it took me back memory lane: What is the first news story you remember?

For me, it was the Apollo 1 fire. As a kindergarten boy growing up in the 60s, particularly in the NY metro area, two things were important: astronauts and the NY Mets. I more got into the Mets after I started playing baseball, at age 7, but loved astronauts since I can recall. And in kindergarten, in Miss MacNamara's class, all my friends and I wanted to be astronauts. Even as little boys, we knew there was a planned moon shot, and the program to do it was Apollo.

So I have a clear memory of TVs being brought into our class so we could follow the disaster of Apollo 1, where a fire during a test of the rocket ship ended up killing three. It was the first time, I think, that all the networks went live from a news site, and Miss McNamara explained to us what was happening. Some of the class started to cry when the news reported that all three astronauts had died. I don't think I did, but was very sad.

Ah, Miss McNamara. Years ago, I found her on FaceBook. She was getting ready to retire, as the longest tenured teacher in the Levittown District. She claimed to recall me, a talkative boy, but I think she was just being charming. I recall well she was ALWAYS hanging around with my third grade teacher, Miss Dempsey. I'm pretty sure, in retrospect, they were a closeted pair -- but at the time two happy spinster teachers, as far as was officially reported.

Anyway, here in steamy Summer Miami, later I get to fetch Wifey, who has received sterling reports as our new grandson's night nurse. Joey and D1 sing her praises -- Joey especially, who has returned to work with a bit more sleep time than he would have had without his suegra's help.

I have a big day of schlepping planned, after a stop at the office to fetch some last minute stuff. The office is moving this weekend -- from the 6th to the 2nd floor -- and I need to make sure any papers I need make the move. Afterwards, I'll get Wifey, and then we have to stop at D2's place on Miami Beach to fetch the enormous puppy, who we will watch for about 2 weeks as D2 and Jonathan leave for their 2.5 year delayed honeymoon.

Wifey and I spoke last night, and together we counted our blessings. The best college friend of one of my closest brothers is likely on his way off this mortal coil, from brain cancer, which was diagnosed, as Wifey noted, "just like that." The fellow, who I know well, is turning 71, and expecting his fourth grandchild. Like me, he has 2 amazing daughters, and was still working in a very lucrative career. But his days are now very short. I have tremendous gratitude that for now, ours remain less short.

Meanwhile, on the happy side, my sister of another mister, Mirta, and I met last night at Bulla, our go-to Tapas place in the Falls. We shared a delicious paella, and when the bill came, she grabbed it from the server, almost violently. She KNOWS my rule is patriarchal -- chicks never pay. But she insisted on taking me out for my birthday, and I changed to meekly accepting her generosity.

I'm so happy for her life, especially lately. She has a great boyfriend, with whom she shares travel and motorcycling. They each have grandkids and kids, and savor their time together, and Mirta is wise enough to know she also needs to keep her independence. She's doing well financially, as a result of hard work as a single mother, with now grown sons who are both doing well, too. It's her salad days time, and I love sharing it with her.

And, my nephew of another mister, Josh, actually is in Israel! He was reluctant to take the great Birthright trip without his older brother, Scott, and I feared he would miss out, as Scott doesn't seem inclined to take off the needed time from work to take the trip. But Josh did it -- we followed his preparation and boarding of an El Al 787 for the trip, and he is now in the Holy Land. I have a feeling the trip may be life changing for him. I can't wait to hear all about it.

So off for the morning constitutional. Lots of news today. Hopefully nothing about aeronautical disasters, like my earliest news memory.

No comments: