Sunday, July 24, 2022

The Reluctant Birthday Boy

 So we had a delightful Friday afternoon at D1 and Joey's house. Our consuegros were there, as well as Joey's little brother Alan, home from an amazing wedding in Monaco. He hadn't met the new baby yet, and loved doing so -- the little guy looks a LOT like Alan.

Joey brought up a tray of drinks, and Alan, Joey, Jacqui, and I toasted the new addition. It was really lovely, and then I left Wifey for her gig as nighttime helper.

So far; so good. Joey pronounced Wifey MVP helper. D1 have her a high compliment, too: she was back to 1997 form -- the height of Wifey's powers as a Mom. The weekend is going well there, fortunately. 

Meanwhile, my brother Barry's birthday is today, and I called to see what he was doing to celebrate. Nothing, was his reply.

I used to be that way, too, except on the decade turns, like 40, 50, 60...I was self deprecating and thought celebrating one's birthday was no big deal, until I spoke with Rabbi Yossi. He set me straight.

Assuming you believe in the Big Man, and that your life is His doing, then foregoing a birthday celebration, the milestone of your existence on the earth, is a form of ungratefulness. Ever since that conversation, I always celebrate, and make sure to celebrate those closest to me.

So Barry, Donna, and Josh drove to Captain's Tavern, whose food they love, and I Ubered over. Josh didn't drink, but Barry and I did, and we had a wonderful meal of their freshest of fish. Josh was the only 20 something there, and we three Boomers were definitely among the younger diners. And that was ok.

Josh is leaving tomorrow for Birthright trip to Israel, and I'm thrilled for him. He's very proud of his heritage, and needs to see the Promised Land. We toasted to a safe and wonderful journey for him.

After dinner, Josh drove me home -- mission accomplished. A truly great man, Barry, was properly feted on his latest milestone. Next year he joins the 60 club -- hopefully he celebrates in a big way.

Meanwhile, today I did my long walk in the tropical summer heat, and took my typical post walk dip in the pool,enjoying the fact that the pool is totally secluded, and I can swim naked without getting arrested or scaring any neighbors. A Sunday afternoon nap was followed by watching the Marlins -- they're up a run in the bottom of the 8th. Now top of 9th -- against the Pirates, who last made the Series in 1979, my college freshman year. Long, long time ago...

I'll probably go visit D1 and her family tomorrow. Tomorrow night I have dinner with Mirta, my sister of another mister.

Last night I told Barry a simple truth. We're fortunately gotten together a lot lately -- July 4th, Grandson Bris, and last night. And I noticed something: the more time I spend with him, the happier I am.

My wisdom, for what it's worth, is that as one ages, they ought to be more generous and charitable with their money, assuming they can, and far stingier with their time. And so I try -- I turn down many invitations I might have accepted when I was younger. And I always tell my friends -- if I'm spending time with you -- I really savor it. Time is too precious to waste.

As my Mom used to say -- money is round -- it rolls in and rolls out. But time, once spent, doesn't roll back in.

I think I extract Wifey on Wednesday, and then Thursday hopefully another dinner with Barry. Josh will be gone, and Donna is heading to D.C. to visit Scott and attend Pitbull's show there. If I can work the logistics, maybe dinner on Miami Beach before I fetch Betsy, for 10 days of dogsitting.

D2 and Jonathan are FINALLY taking their honeymoon -- 2.5 years after their wedding. Covid postponed it, but Friday they're off to the Amalfi Coast and then Santorini. I've been to both, but just for the day, on two cruises Wifey and I took. We always said we wished to return to Positano for more than just a lunch.

I'm thrilled D2 and Jonathan are getting that opportunity, and Alyssa and Freddy, dear friends, have been there many, many times, and advised them on can't miss venues. Enormous puppy Betsy loves to stay here, and we love having her, too.

So a fine birthday was properly celebrated. I think the Big Man smiled.

No comments: