Saturday, July 2, 2022

Coolest Guy In The Biz

 Years ago, Norman referred me to Danny to fix AC problems. He originally from Argentina, but might as well be Swiss. When you call him, he responds comically fast -- as I imagine service people must do it in Zurich.

I have texted him at 11 pm, figuring he'd call the following day, and I get a call at 11:05 -- "What's up my friend Dave?"

Since Wifey requires we live in a too big house, it actually has 4 separate AC units. The three large ones were installed when the house was built in 1997, and were Trane, which I was told was state of the art. Well, the state of the art each crapped out at about 10 years, which Danny explained was the new normal.

He said I could replace them with with Tranes, which are very expensive, but he warned that it was tough to find Trane parts -- if something broke, it might take a week to get the part. On the other hand, Rheem parts were everywhere -- he carried many on his truck. I went with his advice, and now all 3 units are Danny's -- and I never go more than a day without air when something breaks down.

I joke with Norman that I actually look forward to AC breaking, since Danny is so affable. I spoke to him today.

After we moved in, we completed a "Bonus Room" above the garage. It became my football room/guest house, but we rarely use it. When people stay, they stay in the main house, and I tend to watch games in the family room.

In another sign that the house Wifey makes us stay in is a bit too big, a month might go by without my even setting foot in the Bonus Room. And so it was today. And the heat hit me -- the AC was off.

That unit is a small, 1.5 ton guy, and was originally installed when the room was finished -- probably 20 years ago. Danny said the smaller units last longer.

I took photos of the compressor and handler and sent them to Danny -- asking him to call next week, after the July 4 holiday. He called right away -- on vacation in the Keys. "Danny -- no rush! You know that room -- the AC might well have been broken a whole month." "Nah -- today is a regular day -- the holiday is Monday!"

He had me measure the air handler, and whether there was extra room (there is) and will get my new unit in next week. Danny rocks.

Meanwhile, we have a getty tonight with Deb and Norman. Deb, an exotic Canadian, is calling it the "Day After Canada Day Party." To annoy her, I keep calling it the "Two Days Before Independence Day Party." She may toss me into the pool tonight.

Tomorrow D2 and Jonathan may come by -- leaving the enormous pup with us while they attend a barbecue at their friends Elyse and Brett's Pinecrest house.

Monday we have plans for dinner at Captain's Tavern with Donna and Barry. The past three times there I've had their halibut -- it's flown in daily from the NE and is awesome. Maybe afterwards we'll repair to the house and watch fireworks on TV.

When the Ds were young, we'd often rent a cabana at the Biltmore on the 4th. We'd spend the day swimming and drinking, and then walk to the golf course for the Gables Fourth, which had great fireworks and a pops orchestra. It was lovely -- maybe we'll resurrect that tradition when the Little Man gets a bit older.

I was reminiscing about my first July 4th with Wifey the other day -- July 4, 1984. The Beach Boys were giving a concert on South Beach, and we drove to her friend Yvonne's the night before and shared a single bed -- probably the last time we did that. Yvonne lived in an old building on Washington and 2nd, and we walked over to the beach probably at 11 to get a decent spot.

We spent the entire day there -- Yvonne, Wifey, me, and Wifey's friend Jeannette, down from Brooklyn. Jeannette's cousin Dennis met us. I drank the entire day -- not vodka in those days -- beer and wine. By nightfall, I was quite happy, and the next blanket had some incoming UM freshman, sharing some weed. I was going to teach Freshman Comp that Fall, and told the group I might be their instructor -- which got us some weed.

The show was terrific -- probably 500K people there. The Boys had played at the DC Mall earlier, and flown to Miami -- I think it still holds the record for how many people any band ever appeared before in a single day. They brought guests -- Ringo Starr, and Justin Heyward and John Lodge of the Moody Blues. When Ringo appeared, Jeannette flew towards the stage -- she's such a lifelong Beatles fan. We managed to somehow find her afterwards, but I was so wasted, Wifey had to lead me back to Yvonne's apartment, and drive home. She did so without judging me -- I probably knew then I'd ask her to marry me and someday agree to move into a too huge house with her.

I'm guessing this year's 4th will be a bit tamer, and that's ok. Main thing is, the AC is working in most of the house.

No comments: