Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Service Like The 1950s

 So I awoke today and noticed some landscape lighting hadn't shut off during the wee hours, as it's programmed to do. Sure enough, I diagnosed the problem: the timer  box motor was broken.

Our friend Norman had referred us a great electrician, Bill, but he's retiring, and so I recalled that my friend Donna had spoken highly of a local company: Arcs and Sparks. I called, and said I actually had 3 projects, none of which were a rush. But, alas, they had a cancellation. Could they come at noon today? They could.

I met Juan, my trainer, for the first time this year. At the end of December, we planned to take my fitness up a notch, and then Covid said "Hold my beer." First surging Omicron, and then Wifey got it, and so today was the first day I could reasonably attend. If they indeed come up with a pill for fitness without exercise -- I would take it immediately. I do not like to exercise, other than walking. But Juan is a fine motivator, and knows a 60 year old guy not interested in playing sports, other than running around with my grandson, needs balance  and strength work. I no longer care how I look in a Speedo --other than for humorous effect.

Anyway, I came home, and at 11:45 the company was at my gate. They were two Millennial guys -- Eric was a former Canes baseball player who transferred to FSU and got an engineering degree, but went into the family business instead.

They fixed the time box in about 10 minutes, and gave us a temporary fix on wall lights around the pool -- they work, but the fixtures need replacing. The same goes for halogen floodlights under the roof -- Eric said he could repair them, but why? They're 100 watts each; the new LEDs use 10 watts, and will last 15 years. 

So they're ordering the new parts and will return in a few weeks, and the repairs they did were perfect and about 30% less than I had anticipated. I believe I have found the right company going forward.

Keeping the 50s vibe, both young electricians had uniforms! I plan to refer them to everyone I know.

So, I admit I was a bit shocked at how good they were. Ha. They must hear that as often as the elevator repair guy hears he works in a business with its ups and downs.

So, with the workout done, case managing the electricians done for the day, and a little investment tweaking -- it's time for an afternoon nap.

D2 enjoys no such luxury -- she continues to grind it out on the phone and computer in the dining room.

Indeed -- hard work is for the young. Now -- move over a bit, little dog -- you're hogging the sofa.


No comments: