Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Pinecrest Roomies Rock On

 So D2 and Jonathan moved in for a month last July, since their rental apartment was being sold, and their new townhouse not yet completed. We just passed SEVEN months of being, as Jonathan labeled us, Pinecrest Roomies.

It's been fine, but all of us are ready to go our separate ways. The house is plenty big, and we're all fairly even tempered, but the millennials want to get on with their lives, and the Boomers are ready for a return to our senescence.

Last weekend D2 hosted a party for her 30th. Wifey and I were invited, along with a few Boomer friends lest we bother the young-uns. It was a very fun evening, and it drifted into a small gathering for the Super Bowl.

Still -- I feel, especially for Jonathan. He happens to have the coolest, most generous suegro of all time -- but a hard working man like him wants to go home at night to his own place.

My late suegro, Richard, may he rest in peace, was sometimes at my house in the evenings when I got home from a long day. I was always respectful, but was thinking "When are these people going to get the F out of my house?" Richard would say "Go put on da short pants" as he knew I would shed the monkey suit when I got home. But to me, it was a matter of switching from one boss to another, and I didn't much care for it.

We had all hoped for a closing next week. Not going to happen -- still issues with permitting -- but we're all cautiously optimistic that the closing is near. If not, the kids may look for a short term rental -- despite the huge cost. I get it -- I couldn't have lasted 7 DAYS living with my suegros, let alone 7 months.

Still -- we realize how lucky we are. My immigrant grandparents, and parents, lived in tiny quarters in The Bronx with far more people. Neither Wifey nor I come from money. So if we had to go on this way for months more -- it's not really much of a hardship.

We've fallen into nice rhythms. I know D2's corporate speech by heart now, as she handles her calls in the dining room behind where I spent much of the day. Wifey camps out in her recliner, and often has long talks with BFF Edna, where her voice quickly rises to outdoor voice levels. I've gotten used to an eye rolling D2 come over and shut the door separating the family room from the dining room. I chuckle to myself each time.

Speaking of Edna -- she's in South Florida to finally close out her late parents' safe deposit box. She's checking into a beachside hotel in Hollywood, and Wifey is going to stay for a few nights.

I asked D2 what we planned to do in Wifey's absence, and she missed her opportunity to cite one of my favorite punchlines: Who's WE, paleface?

And then Friday, D2 is flying up to Savannah for a bridal shower weekend. Wifey and I are having dinner with D1 and Joey in Edgewater. Of course Jonathan is invited, but I'm guessing he may spend some time with his friends and family.

Hopefully there'll be updated news next week, about the closing. If not -- we can certainly endure.

But it'll be sweet to host the first happy hour on the 3rd floor patio of Jonathan and D2's new place -- and then leave them in peace!

No comments: