Sunday, February 13, 2022

Afterglow

 So D2's 30th was a smashing success. Her friend Carson planned and executed it beyond the level of a party planner -- Carson is a marketing exec at City Furniture, but could easily transition to event planning.

She hired Sara Sharpe caterers, and they were amazing -- delicious food, charming and competent staff. Jonathan was the DJ through Sonos and the music played well all night.

We ate, and drank, and danced. Old friendships were rekindled, and new ones formed. Many of D2's friends go back to Middle School, and it warmed Wifey and me to see how they had become accomplished adults.

Early on, it was baby hour. Our Little Man was there -- playing with balloons from the balloon sculpture, which a friend pointed our looked rather phallic. Later Jonathan's niece, an adorable redhead, arrived, as did two more toddlers. They toddled around, and one little girl, not 2, already knows how to throw up a U! I was impressed.

The toddlers and their parents left between 6 and 7, and the music got louder. There was delicious cake. As I walked some folks outside, a car drove up -- Uber Eats. I told the driver it must be a mistake -- we hadn't ordered anything. But she showed me the address -- it was indeed ours -- and then I realized it was a pie from Fireman Derek's -- sent by D2's dear friend Ali, in NYC. It was readily consumed.

Wifey went up to bed around 9:30, and I watched the poolside karaoke, with Fredy, Alyssa's delightful husband. Fredy is 45, and he said to me, pointing at the raucous group, "That's 30 for you." Of course, to me 45 is amazingly young, too.

They had a delightful time -- lots of their era songs, and plenty of Spanish tunes, which even the gringos could sing. Around 10:30 I slipped upstairs -- and heard the singing until about midnight.

This am I was up early, per usual, and drank my coffee. Instead of my typical WDNA Sunday jazz, I put on Boz Skaggs' "Silk Degrees," and album I would always play when cleaning up from college and grad school parties.

Most of the cleanup had been done, but I still basked in the nice afterglow. Jonathan woke, made coffee for D2 and Ashley, who had spent the night, and then Ashley left on an Uber for Aventura, where she was meeting her Boca Mom.

Carson, the planner par excellence, and Andres are over now with breakfast. Carson's Mom Caroline told us how much she adores D2, and it was her pleasure to plan the party. I told Caroline I adore my friends, but I would no sooner plan an event for them than get voluntary dental work.

It's a rainy day -- we lucked out -- last night was beautiful. Today we'll watch the Super Bowl, where I have zero rooting interest. 

And we'll appreciate and savor a night of normalcy -- no masks -- little if any talk of Covid.

Ahhhhhh.....

No comments: