Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Back to the MF Gym

 Other than walking, and playing softball 30 years ago, I truly do NOT enjoy exercise. When I played high school baseball, and we were forced to run for miles, I NEVER enjoyed the sensation of being out of breath. I did it, but determined that as an adult, I would run only if chased by a large animal.

Well, several years back, the Ds had an intervention with me and got me to agree to exercise, on account of they were willing to wait a bit for their inheritance, and besides, Wifey will likely outlive me and spend their money anyway...

Kenny and Joelle started working out at a local gym called Sensory, and I began to go. Kenny and I were the oldest in the class, which was very nice for the visuals, but I realized I was the class dunce. Kenny is blessed with the same weight he's had since high school, and kept up just fine.

As for me, I hired one of the co-owners, Enrique, for personal training. And indeed, it was life changing. I was still fat, but less so, and able to move better and longer. We became friends. And then, of course, came the Plague, and I stayed away for quite awhile.

When I resumed, after Delta subsided, Enrique pawned me off on Juan -- in order to focus more on administration. The place is booming. Juan was terrific, too -- D2 and Jonathan went with me for many sessions -- and it was helpful. Then came Omicron -- so our plans to hit January running were crushed.

Well -- I made the calculation that my regressing fitness was worse than Covid, and so decided to start up again. But, alas, Wifey caught Covid, and needed a week of butlering, so that was out. Finally, as February began, I did, too, and am now back. I meet Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wifey cheerfully says "You really enjoy it!" I respond like Leon in "Curb" -- I Fing hat the MFing gym. Juan is great, but I would much prefer to meet him for breakfast and take a fitness pill -- but so far, such a thing doesn't exist. So off I trudge.

This am was particularly grueling -- a LOT of cardio in the form of fancy hopscotch -- getting me some balance and mobility back. And then there was a form of pushups using exercise bands -- the younger, fitter guys were apparently impressed I was as strong as I am.

I do enjoy the camaraderie -- it's mostly fellows in the back room, though the co-owner, Guillermo, is also a P.T., and he was in an alcove stretching an older patient today. Of course, I told a non me too joke, about a grandmother seeking birth control pills -- but luckily the client, about my age, found it very funny and not offensive.

So I shall continue to go. Juan and I talk adult beverages -- he told me he likes a bourbon called Buffalo Trace, which he can't find locally. I found it online, and today a few bottles arrived. One is for him -- one for Dr. Barry, who is a bourbon man, and one to keep at my house.

Maybe when I give him his bottle, Juan will go easier. Nah. He's a professional, and on to my attempts at microaggression to avoid too much pain.

I hope there's gain.

No comments: