Friday, February 18, 2022

Flying Children

 So today D2 is off to Savannah, for her dear friend's pre wedding weekend. On account of her being a blood relative or Wifey, she was entitled to Dadber, which is Uber by Dad. I dropped her off at MIA.

Jonathan must have passed us on the Palmetto. He returned from business in Nashville. I told D2 that she needs to contact JonBer for her ride home from MIA on Sunday night.

Meanwhile, with the Plague seemingly on the run, Wifey and I have social plans all weekend. Tonight we're meeting D1 and Joey at a restaurant up in Edgewater. It'll be great to catch up with them and hear the details about our Little Man -- we haven't seen him in 6 entire days!

Tomorrow, we're off to the Coconut Grove Arts Festival -- we haven't been in several years. It started out 58 years ago as a couple of hippies hanging some paintings on clotheslines, and has turned into THE premier outdoor art festival in the US -- I think there are 250 artists from around the world there.

As an aging curmudgeon, I avoid events where parking is a problem, but, alas, Joelle and Kenny now live right by the main entrance, and have invited us to park at their place and walk over. The caveat is we need to get there early, lest we be traffic blocked from accessing their place, and Wifey ain't liking doing nothing early these days. But she will make an exception tomorrow.

We've been going to the Festival since we met. I don't know that we ever bought any art, but we've certainly eaten our share of felafel and gyros.

Speaking of flying, we've booked our first plane trip in a very long while. I last flew in December of 2019. But my nephew of another mister, Scott, has invited us for a visit to D.C., and we're flying up, in hopes of catching cherry blossom season.

I suggested a feel good activity, so Scott is seeing if he can get us tickets to the Holocaust Museum. We've never been, and Wifey's parents sent them some materials. Seems like we owe a visit.

Sunday night we're taking our neighbor Gloria to dinner. Wifey and I really like her. Sadly, her husband Ben dropped dead of a heart attack 3 years ago. Ben was the picture of health, and 60. He forms one of the trio of healthy people we know who have died young -- along with another former neighbor, Evan, and out dear friend Elizabeth. All were meticulous about their health, and two died of sudden heart attack, and one from a brain tumor.

As Warren Zevon advised, when he knew his days were short -- enjoy every sandwich.

We'll take Gloria to Captain's Tavern, even though I was just there Wednesday night. I love it there -- it's one of the few restaurants in Miami where I'm one of the youngest diners.

I have little doubt that tonight in Edgwater Wifey and I will be the Abuelos...

But that's ok. Hopefully the plague stays on the run, and normal life can resume.

And in late March, I get to sing to Wifey Come fly with me. Love that song. Love its modern meaning.

No comments: