Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Good Parking

 So Sunday night, Wifey and I took our friend and neighbor Gloria to dinner. I picked Captain's Tavern -- first, because they have very fresh fish, and also because I enjoy being on the younger side of patrons for a change. Eric and Dana report that going out in Boca means they're usually the youngest dines. In Miami, we're typically the oldest.

But another reason, I reported to Gloria that I enjoy going to the Tavern, is free and accessible parking. Yes -- I've become that old guy who considers that an important factor in choosing a recreational venue. That which I used to make fun of has become my reality.

A decade or so ago, I never cared about that, unless we were toting my Mom or in laws along. They were old, and had to be dropped off in front, and a place with distant lots just meant more of a hike for me. No problem. Now, Wifey has, hopefully temporarily, limited range -- so that's one of the factors.

Also, though I can afford well even over priced parking, I really resent it. On Christmas Day, we went to the Peacock Cafe, and next door was a sign that said Public Parking. It was, but owned by a private vendor -- and the cost was $25 for the 2 hours we were there. My annoyance was disproportionate to the cost. Again -- another sign of aging.

Today -- back to the post President's Day routine. I meet Juan my trainer this am. I enjoy his company but not the workout. If left to my own devices, I would avoid it -- but the trainer appointment assures I attend, and at least twice per week do stuff more rigorous than my daily walks.

Tonight I have plans to meet Mirta, my sister of another mister. She's been very Covid safe, especially since she has a boyfriend who had a nasty long bout of it, and lives with her sons and a grandson. But I think she's finally ready to go to a restaurant, and we'll meet at a tapas place nearby, in the Falls.

Tomorrow night my friend and broker Pat is coming to town. I referred him an old friend, whose investments were tied up in the state system, and Pat used to simply advise him, in exchange for free board when he returned to Miami. The friend is retiring, and now Pat can actually manage his investments -- and they have to set things up. I'll catch up with Pat afterwards.

And then Thursday my nephew Henry is due here. He 's in Miami now doing his video work for a client, and plans to drive to Pinecrest then -- staying with us for 3 nights. I haven't seen him since D2 and Jonathan's wedding two years ago. I told him he'll get to know 2 new cousins -- one with fur, Betsy, and one without, our Little Man.

Henry and his lovely wife Val are major dog lovers, and had Rocco for many years. Rocco was huge like Betsy, with the same energetic,clumsy personality. I have a feeling Henry will enjoy the canine company.

It's been a joy watching Henry grow up -- Wifey met him at MIA in 1984 when he was only two -- a platinum blonde toddler. Wifey called him a Swedish meatball. We'd see him typically only once a year, but he was always on a great track -- star swimmer in high school, skateboarder, the object of many girls' dreams. He turned into a man who could be related to Steve McQueen -- with an extremely creative streak coupled with business savvy.

He started and built up a video company -- they do promotional work for major companies -- fine enough that clients fly him around the world for his work. I'm guessing he might be here for one of the Bay Area companies that have moved here. I'm sure he'll tell us.

His Mom, my California sister, is jealous. She adores her son, for great reason, and enjoys being with all of us. I told her FaceTime will have to suffice this visit.

And who knows? If D2 and Jonathan want, to show Henry some cool places, I may just agree to go to places without good parking. I guess you have to get out of your comfort zone every now and again.

No comments: