Sunday, May 16, 2021

Party Like We USED To

 So I was chatting with my friend Jeff a few weeks ago, a very humble fellow just over 2 months older than I. I knew his 60th birthday was coming, and I asked how he planned to celebrate. He really didn't, he said -- he'd have his wife, and 2/3 of his daughters home, and he really never liked to be the center of attention, and so that would be it.

Well, I try to give less life advice as I age, particularly when I'm not asked, but I held forth. I told him that in my view, each day, and certainly each year we get on this planet is a gift from the Big Man, and the Big Man had given him, or was about to, 6 decades. If he did NOT celebrate, well, wasn't that a bit of an affront to the Big Man -- getting such a gift and not celebrating it?

Jeff is a spiritual guy, and studies Judaism a lot, and I guess my message resonated. He decided to have a small gathering, with representatives of his childhood friends, law school friends, young lawyer friends, and his rabbi and her husband. It took place last night.

The timing was terrific. All of us were fully jabbed, and our man Fauci had just said it was ok to gather, maskless, if everyone were so vaccinated. And so we did -- driving the 4 houses since Wifey was wearing nice shoes for the first time in awhile and announced she could NOT walk in them...

The affair was low key and fun -- sort of like Jeff himself. We ate some Middle Eastern food, and drank some cocktails his youngest daughter, a rising Duke senior, prepared. I loved catching up with Jim, one of Jeff's oldest friends, and someone I see far too little. We always make each other laugh hilariously, and last night was no exception. Jim married late and has a rising high school junior, as well as a grown stepdaughter. I showed pictures of my grandson. We both kvelled.

I also chatted with Laura and Randy -- two still practicing Assistant US Attorneys. Laura's oldest boy was finishing NYU Law, and would be coming home to Miami this Summer to take the Florida Bar and then join a big firm -- but not for long. The young man was a protege of the hip, young, Miami mayor Suarez, and had big political plans. Since his great grandfather on his Dad's side was a big macher in pre Castro Cuba -- it seems to run in his blood.

The 60s, 70s, and 80s music played, courtesy of a mix tape Jeff's daughter made. Lili is a master baker, and made a flourless chocolate cake and apple pie -- we all marveled at how delicious they were. Mike was there without Loni -- she was returning from an uncle's funeral in upstate NY - and I told him the tale of my rabbi friend buying a house from a Lebanese Christian, who left an enormous cross in the bedroom which Yossi had to carry out on his back -- not realizing he was performing a Mel Brooks level take on Jesus in Jerusalem -- the belly laughs we shared were exquisite.

Jeff thanked me for the nudge. I was happy it had the effect. Big Man willing, my 60th comes in about 2 months, and I plan to celebrate, as Sinatra sang, my way.

And it was sure nice to be among friends and see their faces and even hug them. Boy -- nice to be, hopefully, beyond the plague. That's really something.

No comments: