Sunday, May 23, 2021

And the Marlins are in the WIN Column!

 Well, after a blip, the first MLB game for the grandson took place yesterday. Wifey had begged off, fearing too much walking at the Park, and so I offered her ticket to Mike. But then we got a call from the Palace -- there was a staffing meeting for my suegra that I was to attend, and so I begged off. D1 offered a ticket to her brother in law .

And then, the meeting got moved earlier, and so I was able to go -- met the crew at the Diamond Club entrance and we were taken up by elevator to the main concourse. 

The grandson loved it. I feared he might freak at the number of people and noise. He laughed and clapped. We let him run on the concourse, and he did so like the hilarious drunken sailor he is as a toddler. And, since Covid restrictions were still in place, and only 5 seat pods were open, we were able to bring his stroller to the seat aisle, where he sat happily for quite a long time.

We got beers and I got a vodka, and hot dogs and pretzels and nachos, and watched the game. It was a pitchers' duel, though the Mets did strand a lot of baserunners. 

To my amazement, the grandson loved it -- watched the action and crowds, and laughed in the arms of his grandma. Before we knew it, 7 innings were done, and D1 and Joey took the baby home -- it was nearing his bed time. Jackie and Alan and I stayed.

We caught up -- been awhile since we talked, and the theme was, of course, the blessing of that large baby boy. We decided to stay until the end of 9 innings.

It was 1-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. Anderson got a hit. There were 2 outs, and up came Cooper, who D1 tells us is probably the most intellectual player on the team -- a true student of hitting. He applied his knowledge well -- a blast into the second deck for a walk off HR! We all high fived. The many Mets fans in attendance were looking down. It was lovely.

And so, a benchmark is in the books. First MLB game, though I'll be telling the boy about it when he's older. Is he ready for a Canes tailgate this Fall? Hmm...have to give that some thought.

Meanwhile, our Village's mayor, a voice of reason throughout the plague, posted his Friday evening status. He announced that next Friday would be his final post about Covid -- "we are nearing the end." I exhaled deeply when I read that.

Maybe I can make it to 60 and worry about dying of something else than Covid after all! At least I DID get to see my grandson at a ball game...

No comments: