Saturday, May 29, 2021

A Night of Relief

 We're still reeling from the loss of Elizabeth -- her death still seems unreal. Wifey is fortunate -- she can bawl in grief. It's tougher for me -- my eyes got misty, but that was it. It takes me longer to mourn. I think I first cried about my greatest life loss -- my father - more than a year after his death.

We had had plans with Joelle and Kenny to try out a great new restaurant, as a going away dinner for them -- headed to Maine for the Summer -- and Joelle texted that she totally understood if we wished to skip the night. Joelle has close sisters, both biological and of the friend variety, and she understands well Wifey's loss. No -- we would go ahead -- do us good to get out -- and with the plague in retreat, it'd be nice to have a normal, inside restaurant experience.

Plus -- there was an added attraction. D1 invited us for a pregame, and we eagerly accepted. We rolled up just as the grandson was toddling about, laughing, before his bath and bed time. Joey poured us some vodka and whiskey and we toasted Elizabeth. Wifey was in heaven on the floor with the beautiful boy.

The restaurant was Cote, a Korean steakhouse. Both Ds and their men had tried it, and reported it as delicious with fine service. They were correct -- you sit at a table with a hibachi in the middle, and they bring you fine meats and cook them for you right there. The cocktails had nice pours, and indeed the food was delicious -- although, as the server lifted the chunks from the grill and cut them with a special scissor, I couldn't help but think that this place would be a great side hustle job for a mohel. Luckily I shared that thought after we had eaten.

The crowd, as usual in the Design District, said "We're not in Pinecrest anymore," as Wifey is wont to say. Models, Europeans, a couple of tables with obviously rich Gulf State Arab folks...

We all loved the food, and I had thought about returning for my birthday dinner, but I'm a dinosaur. I love a great steak put in front of me in its "natural" state -- uncut. I'm thinking it'll still be the Palm for me in July, Big Man willing.

After dinner, we walked around the new buildings in the District. I hadn't been since they were completed -- all the highest end designer stores, and art installations. Three separate model shoots were going on -- I joked that I was so disappointed that Armani was closed -- I had hoped to hop in and buy a $15k suit.

There were two sets of swings -- and the 4 of us enjoyed them. One, as Kenny noticed, is an art installation, and as you swing, steel slats move, making you part of the art. Two sophisticated women saw it as we finished, and noted the same thing, in, I think, Italian accents. We truly weren't in Pinecrest anymore.

So it was indeed a fine evening. Yesterday there were some more tears about Elizabeth. Her sister Ruby texted that the Utah ME said it'd be quite awhile before they had autopsy results -- although hopefully they'll be letting Ruby go ahead with the cremation. Elizabeth wanted her cremains -- can't get enough of that word -- spread in North Carolina, near Ruby and Harris's home there.

I think Wifey may travel to Orlando with Ruby to help in the cleaning out of Elizabeth's house. In a way, that'll be the funeral, bringing closure for Wifey. I hope that comes to pass.

Dr. Barry and I spoke about this terrible loss. The two healthiest men from my neighborhood, Ben and Evan, died. Ben died of an arrhythmia just over two years ago --- he was running in our 'hood and dropped. Evan, meticulous about his health, had a brain tumor.

And now Elizabeth -- by far the healthiest and most meticulous about her health of any of Wifey's friends. As Barry pointed out -- we like to think we have control of our medical destinies, but we don't.

My mother smoked for 60 years -- never developed heart problems or lung cancer. My mother in law, also a lifetime smoker and eater of unhealthy foods -- obese much of her adult life -- slogs on, at 96.5.

During our Zoom happy hour last night, I asked Barry if there was a term for that -- when reality is exactly opposite of a prediction -- like when the tortoise beats the hare in the race. We both agreed to give that question some thought.

But for now, as always is the case for the survivors of even a tragic death, the sun is up. I'm taking the new early birthday gift I bought myself out for a test run. I got a Sonos Roam, a portable hi fi speaker that connected easily to my Sonos system, so I can have great quality sound and the almost infinite music and podcast choices as I do my constitutionals.

Elizabeth enjoyed our walks when she was here -- marveling at the tropical foliage of our gorgeous 'hood. She'd have enjoyed the Roam, too.

No comments: