Sunday, May 9, 2021

Everthing's Quiet on Mother's Day

 So in our "full squad," as Joey named us (Wifey, me, the Ds, the sons in law, and now the grandson) I am the only one who is neither a mother nor has a living one. But somehow, MD must still be celebrated -- Wifey always reminds me she is my baby mama, and deserves ReSPECT.

The last MD for me with an actual, live mother was 2012. Mom had just moved into Miami Jewish, and we visited her there and enjoyed the day. She died in April of '13, and her cremains got sent to my house in May, the day before MD. D2 was here from UF, and so Wifey, the Ds, and I drove over to Matheson Hammock on MD and committed Sunny's ashes to the 7 seas. It was not a very happy MD.

But as for the present -- Wifey got to start her MD celebration early this year. We were spending a lazy Saturday, and my Schlage lock app chimed -- the front door lock was being touched. Wifey said "Oh -- you probably just hit it by mistake," but when it happened again, I got up to check, and sure enough there was a happy pair of intruders -- D1 and the beautiful boy! She was in the 'hood visiting her friend Hillary -- in town for MD at her parents' house with HER baby girl, and so dropped by. Wifey was thrilled.

D1 was going to leave, so that the little man could nap on his way home, but instead I suggested a walk-nap. I pushed him for about a half hour, as he made joyful Pebbles Flintstones sounds, and then the stroller grew quiet. Sure enough, he had PTFO, as the millennials say. It was cloudy and breezy, and I pushed him for 2 miles, as he happily slept. It was delightful.

Today, I'm about to fetch a bagel platter from Joanna's, and the Full Squad is coming -- a total of 7 humans and 4 dogs. I LOVE this -- a noisy, happy house, with eating and probably a good amount of day drinking.

I have olive juice to make Joey his favored dirty martinis, and a new tequila for Jonathan and maybe D2 to try. I chilled a bottle of Prosecco for D1 -- she's a cheap date. It was raining hard earlier, but blue skies have returned -- maybe another walk nap, with some to-go cups, will be on the schedule.

It's funny -- I have a dear friend who told me when he was looking for a wife, his number one criterion was someone who would be the best possible mother to his children. And he succeeded -- he has grown sons, and indeed they have a loving and devoted mother.

I never gave that too much thought. In fact, I never much thought Wifey would be very maternal. When I met her, she had just returned from a trip to Atlanta, where her BFF had just had a baby girl. Wifey made a face when showing me the photos -- as if her friend had moved to a toxic waste dump.

Well, the worm sure turned. After D1 was born, the career woman who planned to take off 3 months and then head back to work fell in love totally with our baby girl -- simply couldn't bear to leave her. And then D2 came, and that was all she wrote.

And her parenting was superb. Loving, of course, but also wise and strong when necessary, particularly when the Ds got to that tough adolescent stage. There was a time D1 was clinging, and D1 pushed her out of the nest, as tough as that was for her. And D1 soared. D2 sort of was always flying the coop on her own...

So today we celebrate our baby mama. And we also celebrate D1 -- her second MD! Joey sent a photo this am of the little man sprawled over her, in bed. The picture was the epitome of MD, in my eyes.

Happily, all is well this MD. D1 is a kick ass mother. D2, should she be blessed with human children, in addition to her oversized puppy who she mothers well, will be a great Mom, too. And I won YUUUUGE, as Wifey would say, Brooklyn style, in the baby mama department.

No comments: