Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Back To School

 So today was Cinco de Mayo, the fake Mexican holiday, that's a good excuse for drinking margaritas. I spent the day butlering for Wifey -- double therapy session at Baptist in the morning, with a nice coffee meet with Captain Doctor Kenny while Wifey was finishing up.

She had a 2 pm appointment at the Lennar Center at the U, and I thought we might go for lunch first, but, alas, she was knackered, as the Brits say, and we came home for her quick nap. She awoke, and I sprang into Hobson mode again -- driving her to the U for her 2 pm check up with a new GI. After I dropped her off, and she sadly realized I couldn't go inside with her, I parked near my freshman dorm, the 1968 Complex, which was built in, wait for it, 1968, and began a tour of the campus.

I hadn't been to my beloved UM since before the Plague. I walked over to where my home for 3.5 years was, on Merrick Drive, and, like Joni Mitchell's paradise, it was gone. I became disoriented. There was a YUUUUUGE new complex there, the Lakeside Villas, which was literally a modern city of buildings and gardens, and even a sandy beach. It was gorgeous.

I was truly blown away. Since Tad Foote became president in '81, the plan was to turn UM into a Tropical Garden. Well -- they've nearly finished it. The campus may be as beautiful now as Stanford's, but indeed tropical. The place is amazing.

I walked around Lake Osceola, which still has the stink I recall from my time there -- I guess it was some rotting vegetation. The students, now most 10 years younger than my youngest child, looked, well, vibrant. Everyone was masked. I walked along, realizing most of them, if they paid any attention to me, figured I was a near retirement age professor. Thankfully, nobody asked.

I found a table near the lake, in a spot I spent a lot of time in '79/'80, and reflected on the passing of more than 4 decades. Would I like to go back? You're durn tootin', as Bill Macy's character said often in "Fargo." They were, simply, the most carefree and best years of my life.

I was responsible for...well, ME. No wife, no kids, no grandson, no house, no declining parents. Just me, and my quest to go from boy to man, having as much fun as possible. I succeeded big, if I don't say so myself.

Wifey texted, and I replied she'd have to Uber home -- I was staying. The place was beautiful. In my mind, for that moment, I was 20. The young coeds were wondering who the mysterious, silver haired sophomore was. There'd be parties...

Nah. I walked back to my car, and fetched Wifey. Elizabeth was on the phone -- Wifey's FIU friend. They were talking about current topics -- aging -- not their FIU years together in the late 70s. So I pulled myself back to the present, too, and stopped at Brewing Buddha, the gourmet coffee place owned by the corpulent barista Cassidy, and got us a couple of low cal lattes.

Wifey went outside. Josh called into my Zoom, which I titled Cinco de Hebrews, and we chatted. He's 23 and was on Las Olas, finishing his margarita. I poured a Zyr vodka and tonic.

At 7 or so, Edna and Marc joined in -- also talking about grown up stuff -- chronic pain and aging. I thought about bolting out the door and making a run for it to the UM campus, but realize I'd get arrested, not welcomed. I am a viejo verde -- not a college kid.

In James Taylor's mind he went to Carolina. In mine, I went back to UM for college. Lord -- I have always loved the place, and it was nice to visit again. I texted D1 and Joey --we need to take the grandson there, and begin the indoctrination process. Maybe we'll have a third generation Cane. That boy can go wherever he wants -- but he'll damn well cheer for the Hurricanes, if I have anything to do with it.

I have a friend, Stuart, whose son is a budding social media exec. He's just 18 and already making money as a high school senior. Stuart announced, proudly, that his boy is NOT headed to college -- he's already been there, done that, and bought the T shirt about traditional college stuff.

I felt badly to hear that. I surely hope the young man becomes richer than rich -- and supports his family forever. But those years I spent at college? There is no price to be put on them at all.

No comments: